Finding angular velocity of a spinning sphere with given kinetic energy fraction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
blackbyron
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A solid sphere with a mass 8.2kg and radius 10cm is sliding along a frictionless surface with a speed 5.4m/s while at the same time spinning. The sphere has 0.31 of its total kinetic energy in translational motion. How fast is the sphere spinning?


Homework Equations



KAe = (1/2)(I)(W)^2


The Attempt at a Solution



The problem is that the rotational kinetic energy is unknown, but I found that the inertia is .0328kgm^2

How do I find the rotation kinetic energy so I can solve for w?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In the relevant equations, you have left out the formula for calculating the kinetic energy due to translation of the sphere at the given speed.
 
SteamKing said:
In the relevant equations, you have left out the formula for calculating the kinetic energy due to translation of the sphere at the given speed.

You mean this ?

Translation:

Ke = (1/2)(m)(v^2)
 
Ya. Now reread your problem statement very carefully.