Find relativistic momentum of electron given kinetic energy.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy at which an electron becomes relativistic and comparing the momentum calculations using non-relativistic and relativistic formulas for electrons with kinetic energies of 50 eV, 50 keV, and 50 MeV. The correct relativistic formula for momentum is p=\sqrt{\frac{(mc^2+K_e)^2-m^2c^4}{c^2}} and it is important to use it when the kinetic energy of the electron is high.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

At what energy does an electron become “relativistic”? Consider electrons with
kinetic energies of 50 eV, 50 keV, and 50 MeV. For each case, calculate the momentum
of the electron first using the non-relativistic formula for kinetic energy, and then using
the correct relativistic formulas. Express the momentum in units of eV/c, or keV/c, or
MeV/c (whichever is appropriate), as discussed in section 2.13 of Thornton and Rex.
(For this you need to know that the rest energy of an electron is 0.511 MeV.) Compare
your answers for each case. When is it important to use the relativistic formulas?

Homework Equations

Non-relativistic:
Ke=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2

p=mv

Relativistic:
p=[itex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to use the non-relativistic equations to find momentums by equating the equation for kinetic energy and momentum with the final result of:

p=[itex]\sqrt{2K_em}[/itex]

When it comes to the relativistic momentum, however, I can't seem to remember how to find v! From what I remember it is straight forward but I can't find what I need. Any suggestions are welcome, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have the covered the *very* useful equation ##E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2c^2## with you? I would definitely use that if I could.

Likes 1 person
It definitely looks familiar but we have since moved on to new material and I don't recall the significance / relevance of that relationship.

I take it I could just solve for p and replace E with the sum of the rest mass and the given kinetic energy?

oddjobmj said:
It definitely looks familiar but we have since moved on to new material and I don't recall the significance / relevance of that relationship.

I take it I could just solve for p and replace E with the sum of the rest mass and the given kinetic energy?

Yes, E is the sum of the rest mass-energy and the kinetic energy. You're allowed to state the answer in eV/c, so you don't even have to do any conversions.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

So p=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{(mc^2+K_e)^2-m^2c^4}{c^2}}[/itex]

I got about 7.1 MeV/c for the 50 MeV non-relativistic and ~51 MeV for the same electron using the relativistic equation above. Does that sound about right?

oddjobmj said:
Thank you!

So p=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{(mc^2+K_e)^2-m^2c^4}{c^2}}[/itex]

I got about 7.1 MeV/c for the 50 MeV non-relativistic and ~51 MeV for the same electron using the relativistic equation above. Does that sound about right?

I'm getting 50.5MeV/c for the relativistic value for the 50MeV electron.

Didn't check the non relativistic value but it should be quite badly off at that energy level.

Likes 1 person
Perfect, thank you! Just wanted to make sure I understood what you were explaining.

What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the momentum of an object. It takes into consideration the object's mass, velocity, and the speed of light.

How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum, as described by Newton's laws of motion, is based on the object's mass and velocity. Relativistic momentum also takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the object's momentum.

What is the formula for calculating relativistic momentum?

The formula for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1-(v²/c²)), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

How do you find the kinetic energy of an electron given its relativistic momentum?

To find the kinetic energy of an electron given its relativistic momentum, you can use the formula KE = (γ - 1)mc², where γ is the Lorentz factor and mc² is the rest energy of the electron.

Why is it important to consider relativistic momentum when studying electrons?

Electrons are small and move at high speeds, making them subject to the effects of special relativity. Therefore, it is important to use the concept of relativistic momentum when studying electrons to accurately describe their behavior and interactions with other particles.