Finding approx. minimum value for 'v'

In summary: THIS is how you solve equations. You start with what you have, and then you figure out what you need to figure out to solve it. You don't start with a general equation and try to apply it to everything. You figure out what you need to figure out to solve the equation you have.
xiphoid

Homework Statement

A 2m wide truck is moving with a uniform speed v=8m/s along a straight horizontal road a pedestrian starts to cross the road with a uniform speed u when the truck is 4m away from him minium value of v?

Homework Equations

The equations of motion in a straight line, and the equation of relative velocity, distance...

The Attempt at a Solution

since it is uniform speed, here, acceleration i suppose should be zero. Even after drawing a diagram, couldn't get help from it!
I doubt if this is really solvable using the above mentioned equations that I have so far come across

Physics news on Phys.org
Minimum implies there is a range on the values.

What is the condition when the minimum happens. What if you are crossing the road with less than the minimum speed?

Imagine physical scenarios :-D

What do you want me exactly to do?
As I had posted in the question itself, i had drewed the diagram, and perhaps imagine every incident that can take place in my mind,
but
any hints for getting the answer?

dharavsolanki said:
Minimum implies there is a range on the values.

What is the condition when the minimum happens. What if you are crossing the road with less than the minimum speed?

Imagine physical scenarios :-D

Minimum speed for a surviving pedestrian.

Work out how long the truck takes to cover the remaining 4m. The pedestrian has the same time to get out of the way (eg to travel >2m).

I have only the intial velocity of the truck and that of the paedestrian, no final velocity!
How can I manage to calculate this without the final velocity?
Assume it to be 0?
CWatters said:
Work out how long the truck takes to cover the remaining 4m. The pedestrian has the same time to get out of the way (eg to travel >2m).

xiphoid said:
I have only the intial velocity of the truck and that of the paedestrian, no final velocity!
Assume it to be 0?

If the truck has a uniform speed, the final velocity, as well as the velocity at any other time is 8 m/s.

I suppose you're really supposed to find the minimum of the velocity of the pedestrian 'u', since the speed of the truck is already given.

xiphoid - The question is simpler than you think.

Both truck and pedestrian are traveling at a uniform/constant velocity. The truck doesn't brake! The pedestrian doesn't see it coming and walks at a constant velocity.

You have to find the minimium velocity that the pedestrian could be walking at yet still escape being hit. Not the minimium velocity he achieves after being hit or anything as complicated as that. If he runs faster than Vmin he escapes. If he walks slower than Vmin, he's still in the way when the truck arrives and gets hit.

Last edited:
Ok... so the time I managed to calculate is 0.5s, what next?
should i use the time in any of the equations of the motion, here the acceleration is 0.
CWatters said:
xiphoid - The question is simpler than you think.

Both truck and pedestrian are traveling at a uniform/constant velocity. The truck doesn't brake! The pedestrian doesn't see it coming and walks at a constant velocity.

You have to find the minimium velocity that the pedestrian could be walking at yet still escape being hit. Not the minimium velocity he achieves after being hit or anything as complicated as that. If he runs faster than Vmin he escapes. If he walks slower than Vmin, he's still in the way when the truck arrives and gets hit.

Well then that's how long he has to get out of the way. If he only manages to cover 1m in that time the truck will hit him. If he covers 3m in that time the truck will pass behind him. What's the minimium distance he has to cover in that time?

Minimum velocity = minimum distance / time.

the answer is 8m/s?
CWatters said:
Well then that's how long he has to get out of the way. If he only manages to cover 1m in that time the truck will hit him. If he covers 3m in that time the truck will pass behind him. What's the minimium distance he has to cover in that time?

Minimum velocity = minimum distance / time.

2m in 0.5 seconds = ?

ok... so the answer is 4m/s, but that doesn't appears in the options given to me?
CWatters said:
2m in 0.5 seconds = ?

xiphoid said:
Assume it to be 0?

See, this is a VERY formulae based approach. We don't start with formula and apply it to situations, we draw/define situations, find what we need and THEN find out situations. I guess you started with v = u + at and then digressed into finding v/t.

THIS is why i suggested that you take a look at How To Solve It by Poloya.

Anyways, you have been very persistent in this question, so I am uploading a detailed solution.

I have attached an image here that might give you some idea.

Attachments

• Vasu's Reply.gif
    Vasu's Reply.gif
    166.4 KB · Views: 612
xiphoid said:
ok... so the answer is 4m/s, but that doesn't appears in the options given to me?

That sucks. What are the options given to you? And also, what is the source of the question?

Actually, I would like to quote this to everyone who has helped me including you, Dharavbhai, that my first answer to the question, the moment I saw was 4m/s but it was not given in the options and plus, somehow i forgot to write that in the calculations done list as well!
the correct answer given is 3.567m/s, don't know how did they got the answer in this much detail!
And the source is Pradeep for NCERT
dharavsolanki said:
That sucks. What are the options given to you? And also, what is the source of the question?

Then, was it the exact question?

Also, need more proof on why to stay away from Pradeep?

If both truck and pedestrian go at uniform velocity I can't think of any possible way the pedestrian could avoid being hit by walking SLOWER than 4m/s.

If the truck was driving say 0.5m away from the sidewalk then the pedestrian would have to go faster than 4m/s.

The ONLY way I can see for him to escape by going slower than 4m/s is if the truck slows down or swerves onto the sidewalk.

Could you type in the problem _exactly_ as set word for word including any diagrams? The answer is either wrong or we have totally missunderstood the question.

What is the purpose of finding the minimum value for 'v'?

The minimum value for 'v' is important in many scientific calculations, including optimization problems, where finding the minimum value can help determine the most efficient solution.

How do you find the approximate minimum value for 'v'?

To find the approximate minimum value for 'v', you can use various mathematical methods such as gradient descent, Newton's method, or simulated annealing.

What are some challenges in finding the minimum value for 'v'?

Some challenges in finding the minimum value for 'v' include dealing with complex mathematical functions, local minima, and trade-offs between accuracy and computational efficiency.

Can machine learning techniques be used to find the minimum value for 'v'?

Yes, machine learning techniques such as neural networks and genetic algorithms can be used to find the minimum value for 'v' in certain scenarios.

Are there any real-world applications for finding the minimum value for 'v'?

Yes, finding the minimum value for 'v' has many real-world applications, such as in finance, engineering, and data analysis, where it can help optimize processes and make more accurate predictions.