1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding atomic diameter from molecular diffusion proportionality

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the diameter of one atom of argon given that Dp = 2 where D is diffusion and p is pressure.

3. The attempt at a solution

molar mass of argon is 40g/mol
    using that for one atom can find mass in kgs.
    but thats its!

im not given V, T or p. can put V in terms of d so that gives me one. need 2 so i can solve for the last one.

the relevant equation seems to be
    $$Dp=\frac{1}{\pi d^3\sqrt{m}}(\frac{2kT}{\pi})^\frac{3}{2}$$

good luck finding d.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The diffusion constant has units m^2/s, pressure has units N/m^2 = kg /(m s^2). The product of both cannot be a dimensionless number ("2").
    I think there is something missing here.

Unrelated: if you just need T, room temperature is a good value.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    It's not a constant. Diffusion D and pressure p are inversely proportional. The info I'm given is as pressure increases the product of diffusion and pressure is 2. So the 2 is the x in D=x/p hence dimensionless. I'm fairly sure that this means T is constant.
    Sorry probably a poor worded question.
    Given a figure of a graph of Dp vs p for argon and it's a line parallel to x-axis with the value 2.
    Question says find diameter of argon. So I don't have particular values for p and D either...

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4
    Hmm but I see what you mean... It still needs units... But even then with units it won't make a difference.

And I think there's something missing too.

And I actually have the answer as d=3.1*10^-10m out of the book but that corresponds to a T of about 330K
    but there's no way to find T with the info given..

6. Apr 10, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Is that the full, exact problem statement?
    If yes, I think you really have to assume that it happens at room temperature, and I still doubt that the units match.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted