Finding average speed & distance traveled?

In summary, Sally's average speed for her car trip was 50 km/h. However, in order to accurately calculate her average speed, she would need to know the total distance traveled, which can be found by using the equation d = vt for each segment of her trip.
Luxurious

Homework Statement

Sally travels by car from one city to another. She drives for 30.0 min at 52.0 km/h, 35.0 min at 48.0 km/h, and 23.0 min at 50.0 km/h, and she spends 10.0 min eating lunch and buying gas.

Homework Equations

avg. speed= distance traveled / time of travel

The Attempt at a Solution

first, I added all three speeds (52+48+50) and divided by 3. I got 50 as the average speed, but the website says I'm incorrect.

How can I find the average speed without the distance traveled?

avg. speed = distance traveled / (30+35+23)
avg. speed = distance traveled / 88

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can find the average speed without first finding the distance!
It shouldn't be hard to work out the distances - just use d = vt for each. Get the total distance and the total time, then use the "relevant equation".

min

To find the distance traveled, we can use the formula:
distance = speed x time

For the first leg of the trip, Sally traveled for 30 min at 52 km/h, so the distance traveled is:
distance = 52 km/h x 30 min = 1560 km

For the second leg of the trip, Sally traveled for 35 min at 48 km/h, so the distance traveled is:
distance = 48 km/h x 35 min = 1680 km

For the third leg of the trip, Sally traveled for 23 min at 50 km/h, so the distance traveled is:
distance = 50 km/h x 23 min = 1150 km

Now, we can add all three distances together to get the total distance traveled:
total distance = 1560 km + 1680 km + 1150 km = 4390 km

Plugging this into our equation for average speed, we get:
avg. speed = 4390 km / 88 min = 49.77 km/h

Therefore, the average speed for Sally's trip is 49.77 km/h.

What is average speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time it took to travel that distance. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving on average.

How is average speed calculated?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. The formula for average speed is: average speed = total distance / total time

What units are used to measure average speed?

Average speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, any distance unit divided by any time unit can be used to measure average speed.

Can average speed be negative?

No, average speed cannot be negative. Since it is a measure of how fast an object is moving, it is always a positive value. However, an object's velocity (its speed and direction) can be negative if it is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction.

How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is a measure of an object's overall speed over a certain distance and time period. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time, often measured with a speedometer. Average speed takes into account the entire journey, while instantaneous speed focuses on a specific point in time.