Finding bare 3.5mm and RCA female connectors without strain relief

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wetmelon
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Wetmelon
Messages
154
Reaction score
1
NOTE: Originally posted on Tom's Hardware Forums. Double-posted here for better exposure.

I'm designing a little switch box to wire up a PS3's RCA cables into a 5.1 system that uses 3 3.5mm stereo inputs from my PC, but I'm having a hard time finding naked female connectors (i.e. Just the metal jack) - all the ones I can find have huge rubber or plastic things with stress relief. These are just going into a Radioshack project box, so I don't want that stuff.

I don't know enough about the different types to find what I'm looking for on Digikey, but if someone can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

Need:

6x 3.5mm stereo female "bare"
2x RCA female "bare"
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
alibaba.com has hundreds of 3.5 mm jacks, and RCA jacks also.

You'll have to look through them to find one that meets your needs.

A completely bare jack has nothing to attach to for physical mounting. When you push the male part in, what prevents the female jack from moving?