I kind of agree with you guys about the COM and COG references. The text that I'm using never makes reference to COMs but rather, to COGs. However, the answer always turns out 'correct' (according to the given answers) if I consider them to be COM problems.
Anway, the question I posed consisted of a unit square A. If B is the (1/4) * (1/4) square as described, then the Area(A) = 16Area(B). As I see it, with B placed in A the way it is, it isn't possible to divide A into four squares - unless you mean something like taking the non-B parts of A and constructing squares from that.
My square is just a simple (the simplest I could think of) of what I am really trying to understand. This is, what effect does removing some fraction of some lamina, have on the COM of the resulting lamina. This question is probably difficult to answer in general. However, I believe that if anyone can give me some examples or even just some pointers on how to consider such problems, I would be able to work out the rest myself.
To draw an analogy. It's like sticking two cylinders on the ends of a rectangular block. Choose some point on the block say, its COM (denote this by G). If we want the moment of inertia of the composite object (cylidners + block) about an axis through G, all that is required is the computation of the individual moments of inertia of the cylinders and block about the axis through G. Then, the moment of inertia of the composite object about an axis through G is just the sum of the inidividual inertia.
I would like to know if there is a similar method for COMs.