1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Coefficient of friction with limited info

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wheel has a radius of 0.4m . The engine exerts a torque on the wheel of 290 Nm. FInd the coefficient of friction.

2. Relevant equations

T=RFsin
    T= Angular acceleration * Inertia (1/2MR^2)?

3. The attempt at a solution
    My friend asked me this question, but I feel like there should be more information. Just based on these info, how can you solve this question? Do I set the two equation equal and find for F? What would be the angular acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Is there a diagram that goes with this question? We need some way to relate the frictional force to the retardation of the wheel. Is all of the frictional force applied at the outer edge of the wheel?

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry but these were the only values that were given to me. So, is it impossible to solve this question from just the given information?

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The problem does seem under-defined to me. You can assume that the frictional force is exerted at the outside edge of the disk, but what normal force is involved? Can you try to get more info?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted