How do i find the coefficient of static friction?

In summary, the question asks for the coefficient of static friction between a coffee cup and a dashboard, given that the cup slides forward when decelerating from 20 m/s to rest in 3.5 seconds or less. The relevant equations are a = delta a / delta t for acceleration and Ff = uFn for the force of friction. To find the coefficient of static friction, one must calculate the minimum deceleration needed for the cup to not move, and then use that value to calculate the force on the cup. The equation for static friction is F_static <= u_sF_N.
sam kim

Homework Statement

A coffee cup in your dashboard slides forward when you decelerate from 20 m/s to rest in 3.5 s or less, but now if you decelerate for a longer time. What is the coefficient of static friction between your coffee cup and your dashboard?

Homework Equations

a = delta a / delta t, Ff = uFn (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the maximum deceleration needed so that the cup doesn't move (a is < or = to -5.71) but i don't know how to find the coefficient of static friction

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sam kim said:
A coffee cup in your dashboard slides forward when you decelerate from 20 m/s to rest in 3.5 s or less, but not if you decelerate for a longer time. What is the coefficient of static friction between your coffee cup and your dashboard?

Relevant equations a = delta a / delta t, Ff = uFn (i think)

The attempt at a solution I found out the minimum deceleration needed so that the cup falls over (a is < or = to -5.71) but i don't know how to find the coefficient of static friction

1 - I'm not sure why you introduce falling over. The question talks about sliding or not falling..
2 - When you say "I found the minimum acc..." it would be helpful to show how you did that.
3 - So, you calculated the acceleration for which the cup slides. Is the acceleration more or less, if you decelerate for a longer time?
4 - Can you calculate the force on the cup needed to produce this acceleration?

sam kim said:
Ff = uFn
It can be important to get this equation exactly right. In fact, there are two, one for static and one for kinetic. Note the difference:
##F_{kinetic}=\mu_kF_N##
##F_{static}\leq\mu_sF_N##

What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of force required to initiate movement between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is denoted by the symbol µ (mu) and is dependent on the nature of the surfaces in contact.

How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force required to initiate movement between two surfaces by the normal force acting on the surfaces. This can be expressed as µ = Fs/Fn, where Fs is the maximum force of static friction and Fn is the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by various factors including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. It is also influenced by the applied force and the angle of inclination of the surfaces.

Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important as it helps us to understand the relationship between two surfaces in contact. It is used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing structures, calculating the maximum weight that can be supported by a surface, and predicting the movement of objects on different surfaces.

How do different materials have different coefficients of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is dependent on the nature of the surfaces in contact. Different materials have different surface properties such as roughness, adhesion, and elasticity, which affect the amount of force required to initiate movement. Therefore, the coefficient of static friction will vary for different combinations of materials.