Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding collected count when given average value.

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    Good morning everyone, I would really be pleased with a quick answer because I am very soon going to school. I have been asked to plot a graph, for that I am given a table with time in minutes from 0 to 6 on the first row. On the second row I was given activity in counts per minute with values 495,395,320,258,220,180,140 (they are ranged in columns below corresponding time). Then the third row is a blank row asking me collected count (in counts per minute) and I just don't know how to get it. I have been given average value of the background count which is 30 counts per minute. There is also a question asking to a certain that average value of background count is 30. I just don't know what to do please help me. :nb)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2
    And please why is half-life meaningless to background count?

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    I think that by "collected" they mean all the counts up to that time.
    If you had 495 counts in the first minute and 395 in the second, you had 495+395 after the first 2 minutes.

I don't understand what are you saying in the last three sentences.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook