Finding concentration of Permanganate

In summary, the KMnO4 concentration of the solution in the cuvet can be calculated by using the dilution formula m1v1=m2v2, where 5.00 ml of 1.00 M H2SO4 and 1.00 ml of 2.00x10-3 M KMnO4 were mixed. The solution was diluted to one sixth of the original value, with 6 parts of added liquids from which only one part contained permanganate.
lcary

Homework Statement

Calculate the KMnO4 concentration of the solution in the cuvet. The Solution in the covet was made by mixing 5.00 ml of 1.00 M H2SO4 and 1.00 ml of the stock 2.00x10-3 M KMnO4.

Homework Equations

m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the dilution formula m1v1=m2v2 to find the answer with no luck. First I tried the following: 2.00x10-3 M * 0.001L = m2 * 0.006L. I solved for m2 and the program said my answer was incorrect, I've quadruple checked to make sure I didn't make a simple mistake. Then I tried to figure out how many moles were in 1ml of a 2.00x10-3 Molar solution but then I realized this still wouldn't give me the concentration and I wouldn't know where to go next with the value I obtained. I don't know what else to try. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org

The potassium permanganate was diluted to one sixth of the original value. You added 5 parts containing no permanganate to one part containing permanganate. That is 6 parts of added liquids from which only one part contained permanganate.

lcary said:
First I tried the following: 2.00x10-3 M * 0.001L = m2 * 0.006L. I solved for m2 and the program said my answer was incorrect

Your approach is correct. Either you are entering incorrect number of significant figures, or program accepting answer expects the number in different format, but (unless you solved for m2 incorrectly) you should get the correct result.

Borek said:
Your approach is correct. Either you are entering incorrect number of significant figures, or program accepting answer expects the number in different format, but (unless you solved for m2 incorrectly) you should get the correct result.

Thank you for replying. I wasn't entering in the correct number of significant figures, once I corrected for the error, I got the right answer.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like this with a clear and logical thought process. Here are some steps you can follow to find the concentration of the KMnO4 solution in the cuvet:

1. Start by writing down all the given information and units:
- Volume of H2SO4 = 5.00 mL
- Concentration of H2SO4 = 1.00 M
- Volume of stock KMnO4 solution = 1.00 mL
- Concentration of stock KMnO4 solution = 2.00x10-3 M

2. Use the dilution formula (m1v1 = m2v2) to calculate the concentration of the diluted KMnO4 solution in the cuvet. Remember to convert all volumes to liters:
(1.00 M)(5.00 mL) = (m2)(1.00 mL)
m2 = (1.00 M)(5.00 mL)/(1.00 mL) = 5.00 M

3. This is the concentration of the diluted KMnO4 solution. However, we need to find the concentration of the stock KMnO4 solution. To do this, we can use the formula for dilution again:
(m1v1 = m2v2)
(5.00 M)(1.00 mL) = (m2)(1.00 mL)
m2 = 5.00 M

4. Now, we know the concentration of the stock KMnO4 solution (2.00x10-3 M) and the concentration of the diluted KMnO4 solution (5.00 M). We can use these values to find the concentration of the KMnO4 solution in the cuvet. To do this, we can use the following formula:
M1V1 = M2V2
(2.00x10-3 M)(1.00 mL) = (M2)(6.00 mL)
M2 = (2.00x10-3 M)(1.00 mL)/(6.00 mL) = 3.33x10-4 M

5. Therefore, the concentration of the KMnO4 solution in the cuvet is 3.33x10-4 M. Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Also, be careful with

1. How do you find the concentration of permanganate?

The concentration of permanganate can be determined through a standard titration method, where a known volume of a solution containing permanganate ions is added to a solution of a known concentration of a reducing agent. The endpoint of the reaction is indicated by a color change, which can be used to calculate the concentration of permanganate.

2. What is the purpose of finding the concentration of permanganate?

The concentration of permanganate is often used as an indicator of the strength of a solution. It is commonly used in redox titrations to determine the concentration of reducing agents, as well as in water treatment to monitor the oxidation process and ensure the proper amount of permanganate is added.

3. What is the formula for calculating the concentration of permanganate?

The formula for calculating the concentration of permanganate is C = (nMnO4 * VMnO4) / Vsample, where C is the concentration of permanganate, nMnO4 is the number of moles of permanganate added, VMnO4 is the volume of permanganate added, and Vsample is the volume of the sample being tested.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the concentration of permanganate?

The accuracy of determining the concentration of permanganate can be affected by factors such as incorrect measurements, human error in reading color changes, and the presence of impurities or other substances that may interfere with the reaction. It is important to use precise measuring techniques and to perform multiple trials to ensure accurate results.

5. Can the concentration of permanganate be determined using other methods besides titration?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the concentration of permanganate, including spectrophotometry and electrochemical methods. These methods may be more precise and efficient, but they require specialized equipment and expertise. Titration remains a widely used and reliable method for finding the concentration of permanganate.