Finding concentration of Permanganate

• Thread starter lcary
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Calculate the KMnO4 concentration of the solution in the cuvet. The Solution in the covet was made by mixing 5.00 ml of 1.00 M H2SO4 and 1.00 ml of the stock 2.00x10-3 M KMnO4.

Homework Equations

m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the dilution formula m1v1=m2v2 to find the answer with no luck. First I tried the following: 2.00x10-3 M * 0.001L = m2 * 0.006L. I solved for m2 and the program said my answer was incorrect, i've quadruple checked to make sure I didn't make a simple mistake. Then I tried to figure out how many moles were in 1ml of a 2.00x10-3 Molar solution but then I realized this still wouldn't give me the concentration and I wouldn't know where to go next with the value I obtained. I don't know what else to try. Help please.

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

The potassium permanganate was diluted to one sixth of the original value. You added 5 parts containing no permanganate to one part containing permanganate. That is 6 parts of added liquids from which only one part contained permanganate.

Borek
Mentor

First I tried the following: 2.00x10-3 M * 0.001L = m2 * 0.006L. I solved for m2 and the program said my answer was incorrect

Your approach is correct. Either you are entering incorrect number of significant figures, or program accepting answer expects the number in different format, but (unless you solved for m2 incorrectly) you should get the correct result.

Your approach is correct. Either you are entering incorrect number of significant figures, or program accepting answer expects the number in different format, but (unless you solved for m2 incorrectly) you should get the correct result.

Thank you for replying. I wasn't entering in the correct number of significant figures, once I corrected for the error, I got the right answer.