1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding conditions that assure that a holomorphic function i

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    Let H be a real-valued function of two real variables with continuous first partial derivatives. If h(z)=h(x+i y)= u(x,y)+iv(x,y)is holomorphic in a region V, and H(u,v)=0. Find a condition on H under which one can conclude that h is a constant . Of, course H is the zero function can do the job, but i do not want a trivial condition, any clue?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If H is the zero function, H(u,v)=0 for any choice of functions u,v, and hence for every holomorphic function in V. So H=0 can't be an answer.

Hint:
    1) What can you tell about ##\frac{dH}{dx}## and ##\frac{dH}{dy}## in V?
    2) What do you know about the first partial derivatives of the real an imaginary part of an holomorphic function?

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    ##\frac{dH}{dx}## and ##\frac{dH}{dy}## in V are continuous, how can this help?

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know that H(u,v)=0.
    More precisely, for ##x+iy \in V##, ##H(u(x,y),v(x,y))=0##.
    That should tell you more about the derivatives (when ##x+iy \in V##) than that they are continuous.
    Also, the first partial derivatives of the real an imaginary part of an holomorphic function satisfy a very specific set of equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted