1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Convergence, Limits and values

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    Don't really know how to get round this, the -1^n confuses me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether the following sequence {an} converges as n→∞?
    if it does, find limn→∞an

2. Relevant equations

an=(3n+(-1)n )/ (n3+2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is your purpose in posting this? It does not appear to be to get an answer or for help because you have made no to do it yourself- so you are clearly not very interested in the answer!

An obvious first step, since it asks for "the limit as n goes to infinity" would be to see what you get if you replace n with some really large number- say 10000000. Have you tried that?

4. Aug 15, 2013 #3
    I'm sorry, I'll post better next time. I'm new to the site and still trying to get used to things. I am not really good at limits. It confuses me.
    I needed help with the question, I came up with zero at the end but I wasn't sure if I was right.
    Also does this mean it diverges?

5. Aug 15, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you explain how you found ##0##?

6. Aug 15, 2013 #5
    I used a method where I divided the numerator and denominator by the highest power which was n^3. From there I was left with 0/1 which is zero. Was that right?

7. Aug 15, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is your understanding of the words "converge" and "diverge"? You seem to be saying that "because the limit is 0, it diverges". Is that what you are saying?

8. Aug 15, 2013 #7
    my understanding is if it converges, the total sum is the limit of the sequence or something along those lines. Maybe I just have the entire concept wrong, that's why i'm finding it confusing. Can you please help me with a simple explanation of the two?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted