1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Curl from a vector field picture

1. Nov 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to analyze these pictures for my homework and find out the curl of the vector field at the point (red) on the picture.

2. Relevant equations

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg525/sjrrkb/ScreenShot2012-11-26at61615PM.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    basically I can calculate curl and divergence and evaluate them mathematically...but when it comes to analyzing a picture and determining the curl at a given point on a vector field I am totally lost. Any assistance....in the form of answers, places I can go to get help, or just suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

For the k component of curl, imagine a loop in the xy plane around the point in question, now imagine a line integral around the loop, what is the net result? Consider this for each axis and you should get close. You'll need to be careful with convention, to decide on +-.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook