1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Div and Curl of a Vector Field then evaluating a point

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data}
    Find the divergence and curl of the vector field [itex] \vec{V}=x^2y \hat{i} + xy^2 \hat{j} + xyz \hat{k} [/itex] then for both, evaluate them at the point [itex] \bar{r} = (1,1,1)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    div(\vec{F})= \nabla \cdot \vec{F} \\
    curl(\vec{F})= \nabla \times\vec{F}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This question is the first question where I have attempted to actually find the divergence and curl, which I found ok, but just wanted someone to double check my work, so would appreciate a look.

[tex]
    div(\vec{V})= \nabla \cdot \vec{V} = \frac{\partial V_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial V_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial V_z}{\partial z} = 2xy + 2xy + xy = 5xy
    [/tex]

Then at (1,1,1) it would be 5xy=5(1)(1)=5

Then the curl
    [tex]
    curl(\vec{V})= \nabla \times\vec{V} = (\frac{\partial V_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial V_y}{\partial z}) \hat{i} - (\frac{\partial V_z}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial V_x}{\partial z}) \hat{j} + (\frac{\partial V_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial V_x}{\partial y})\hat{k} \\
    = (xz-0)\hat{i} - (yz-0)\hat{j} + (y^2-y)\hat{k} = xz\hat{i}- yz\hat{j} + (y^2-y)\hat{k}
    [/tex]

Then at (1,1,1), it would be [itex] 1\hat{i}-1\hat{j} [/itex] or (1,-1,0)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Looks right to me. The j part of the curl fooled me for a moment as its usually written as + (Vxz - Vzx) j but then I saw the minus sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Feb 19, 2015 #3
    Ah right. Yeah I just did the cross product as I would normally have done with any two vectors, find it easier to remember like that. Thanks for taking a look.

Just wanted to check if I was doing things correctly. there is another question which I am stuck on, not sure whether to make another thread, but it basically asks to find the maximum [pressure] gradient at a certain point thats given; I have found the gradient, i.e. [itex]\nabla P [/itex] but am not sure what to do next. Do I just put the coordinates of the point in, or do I need to first set it to zero and somehow solve it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Feb 19, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to find the maximum of ##|\nabla P|##, the point where the gradient vector has maximum length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted