Finding Dense Sets: Solving the ±m/2100 Conundrum in Elementary Analysis

• Thread starter ThatOneGuy45
  • Start date
In summary, 1/21000 is the smallest positive number in the set and the next smaller number is -1/2100 and the distance between them 1/2100- (-1/2100)= 2/2100= 1/299 and is the length of the largest interval of real numbers containing no member of the set.
ThatOneGuy45
Hi, I am taking an intro. to elementary analysis class and so far our class has gone over sups/infs, the axiom stuff, archimedean property and now we are on dense sets. I've been stuck on this problem for a really long time trying to find clues on how to do it online. It goes as:

Are the numbers of the form
±m/2100

for m [itex]\in[/itex] N dense? What is the length of the largest interval that contains no such number?

The book our class is using is Elementary Real Analysis 2nd ed. by bruckner/thomson. The book is online somewhere if needed. But anyways, I am really lost and a really helpful hint would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of "dense"?

In my book, a set of E of R is said to be dense(or dense in R) if every interval (a,b) contains a point of E.

Consider this interval: (0, 1/21000). Does it contain a point from your set?

I am still fairly new with all this analysis stuff. For the interval, what made you choose it? I don't see how it would be in the set entirely. I feel like an idiot in this class.:cry:

The interval that I chose or the interval (a, b) from the definition does not need to be in the set. Rather, it is the set must be such that whatever interval (a, b) is selected, there will be at least one point in that set that will also be in that interval. Your set consists of points that are separated by finite, albeit very small, distances from one another, so it is possible to select an interval - infinitely many intervals in fact - that will be smaller than the distance between any two points in your set, so they will not contain any point of the set. The set is not dense.

A dense set in R is, for example, that of rational numbers, because in any given interval there are infinitely many of them.

ThatOneGuy45 said:
I am still fairly new with all this analysis stuff. For the interval, what made you choose it? I don't see how it would be in the set entirely. I feel like an idiot in this class.:cry:
You said "numbers of the form ±m/2100" vokD's number, 1/2100 is of that form with m= 1 so it certainly is in that set. In fact, it is the smallest positive number in that set. The next smaller number in the set is -1/2100 and the distance between them 1/2100- (-1/2100)= 2/2100= 1/299 and is the length of the largest interval of real numbers containing no member of the set. That much is not "analysis"- it's basic arithmetic.

HallsofIvy said:
vokD's number, 1/2100 is of that form with m= 1 so it certainly is in that set. In fact, it is the smallest positive number in that set.

My number was 1/21000 :biggrin:

Related to Finding Dense Sets: Solving the ±m/2100 Conundrum in Elementary Analysis

1. What is the definition of density in scientific terms?

Density is a measure of the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is typically represented by the symbol "ρ" (rho) and is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume.

2. How do you determine if a substance or material is considered dense?

A substance is considered dense if its density is higher than the density of the surrounding substances. This can be determined by measuring its mass and volume and calculating its density, and then comparing it to the densities of other substances.

3. What are some common methods for finding the density of a substance or material?

Some common methods for finding density include measuring the mass and volume of a substance, using a density meter or hydrometer, and performing displacement experiments.

4. How does density impact the properties and behavior of a substance or material?

Density can affect many properties and behaviors of a substance or material, such as its buoyancy, solubility, and strength. It can also determine how the substance will interact with other substances and how it will behave under various conditions.

5. What are the practical applications of determining if M is dense?

Determining if a substance or material is dense can have many practical applications, such as in construction and engineering, where knowing the density of building materials is important for stability and strength. It can also be useful in industries such as food and beverage, where the density of products can affect packaging and transportation. Additionally, density is an important factor in environmental studies and can help determine the health and quality of natural resources.