Proof of Inf(S) = 0 for Set S in Haggarty's Analysis Book

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: The Archimedian postulate states that for any real number x, there exists a natural number n such that n is greater than or equal to x. This means that for any real number x, there is at least one natural number that is larger than or equal to it. This is not the same as saying that all natural numbers are greater than or equal to x. Therefore, the contradiction in the proof is not valid. Additionally, to prove that 0 is a lower bound for S, you can show that for any element in S, it will always be greater than or equal to 0. This is because the terms in the set S are all positive (since they are sums of positive numbers) and thus cannot be less than
phospho
This is from the haggarty book on analysis

take the set ## S := \{ 2^{-m} + 3^{-n} + 5^{-p} | m,n,p \in \mathbb{N} \} ##

claim [itex] inf(S) = 0 [/itex]

proof by contradiction:
suppose ## A > 0 ## where A is the largest lower bound for S

then ## 1/2^m + 1/3^n + 1/5^p \geq A ##
i.e. ## 2^m + 3^n + 5^p \geq A(2^m3^n5^p) ##
let ## X = 2^m + 3^n + 5^p ## and ## Y = 2^m3^n5^p ## where ## Y,X \in \mathbb{N} ##
then ## X \geq AY ## hence ## Y \leq \frac{X}{A} ## which is a contradiction to the archimedean postulate which states for any real x a natural number n >= x hence the lower bound is 0

is this proof OK or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:

proof by contradiction:
suppose ## A > 0 ## where A is the largest lower bound for S

then ## 1/2^m + 1/3^n + 1/5^p \geq A ##
i.e. ## 2^m + 3^n + 5^p \geq A(2^m3^n5^p) ##
let ## X = 2^m + 3^n + 5^p ## and ## Y = 2^m3^n5^p ## where ## Y,X \in \mathbb{N} ##
then ## X \geq AY ## hence ## Y \leq \frac{X}{A} ## which is a contradiction to the archimedean postulate which states for any real x a natural number n >= x hence the lower bound is 0

is this proof OK or have I gone wrong somewhere?

I don't understand your contradiction. You made a hypothesis and just wrote it several different ways ending in ## Y \leq \frac{X}{A} ##. You haven't explained how it contradicts the Archimedian postulate. You also haven't observed that the glb is greater or equal 0.

phospho said:

I would prove it directly: show that for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exist [itex]m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]2^{-m} < \frac13\epsilon[/itex], [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]3^{-n} < \frac13\epsilon[/itex], and [itex]p \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]5^{-p} < \frac13\epsilon[/itex], and then add the inequalities together. (This assumes you've shown that 0 is a lower bound for S.)

LCKurtz said:
I don't understand your contradiction. You made a hypothesis and just wrote it several different ways ending in ## Y \leq \frac{X}{A} ##. You haven't explained how it contradicts the Archimedian postulate. You also haven't observed that the glb is greater or equal 0.

well we know the X and Y are natural numbers, and A is any number greater than 0, the archimedian postulate states that if we have a real number x, then any natural number n will be greater or equal to x. Here we have Y (which is a natural number), which we showed to be less than or equal to a natural number over a real number A>0, which is a contradiction to the archimedian postulate.

we know the glb is more than or equal to 0 as m,n,p are natural numbers, hence as m,n,p get large 1/2^m + 1/3^n + 1/5^p will become small, but most certainly not less than 0 (it's a summation of rational numbers).

Should I add 2. to the start of the proof, and 1. to the end to show it's a contradiction? Would that be more clear?

thank you

pasmith said:
I would prove it directly: show that for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exist [itex]m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]2^{-m} < \frac13\epsilon[/itex], [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]3^{-n} < \frac13\epsilon[/itex], and [itex]p \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]5^{-p} < \frac13\epsilon[/itex], and then add the inequalities together. (This assumes you've shown that 0 is a lower bound for S.)

How would I prove 0 is a lower bound for S? It seems obvious but have no idea how to prove it

e.g. can I just say 0 is a lower bound as S is never negative?

phospho said:
the archimedian postulate states that if we have a real number x, then any natural number n will be greater or equal to x.

No, it doesn't say any such thing.

I'll let the experts help you with the proof, but I'd like to understand how this
phospho said:
## 1/2^m + 1/3^n + 1/5^p \geq A ##
can mean that
phospho said:
## 2^m + 3^n + 5^p \geq A(2^m3^n5^p) ##

LCKurtz said:

The book I'm reading states this exactly:

"Another way of phrasing the Archimedean postulate is to say that, given any real number x, there exists an integer n with n ≥ x"

here we have the integer Y, and the real number X/A but Y ≤ X/A

phospho said:
How would I prove 0 is a lower bound for S? It seems obvious but have no idea how to prove it

The relevant ordered field axioms are:

- For all a and b, if a < b then for all c > 0, ac < bc.
- For all a and b, if a < b then for all c, a + c < b + c.

Can you prove from those axioms that if a > 0 then [itex]a^n > 0[/itex] for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], and that if a > 0 and b > 0 then a + b > 0?

phospho said:

"Another way of phrasing the Archimedean postulate is to say that, given any real number x, there exists an integer n with n ≥ x"

"There exists" means that at least one integer is greater than or equal to x, not that all integers are greater than equal to x. For example, [itex]\pi[/itex] is a real number, and there are three strictly positive integers which are less than [itex]\pi[/itex]. On the other hand [itex]4 > \pi[/itex], and there is no contradiction.

Last edited:
phospho said:
the archimedian postulate states that if we have a real number x, then any natural number n will be greater or equal to x.

LCKurtz said:

phospho said:

Do you not understand the difference between the statements "any natural number n will be..." and "there exists a natural number n with..."? The distinctions matter when you are constructing a proof.

pasmith said:
"There exists" means that at least one integer is greater than or equal to x, not that all integers are greater than equal to x. For example, [itex]\pi[/itex] is a real number, and there are three strictly positive integers which are less than [itex]\pi[/itex]. On the other hand [itex]4 > \pi[/itex], and there is no contradiction.
so the proof is not valid?

I really don't understand

if the archimedean postulate states there exists an integer greater than or equal to a real number, and I just showed the an integer is less than or equal to a real number then it's not a contradiction?

I will show you one other solution in the book where they used the same method:

Q: http://gyazo.com/af55675c5d3919c8af02a4dffbff69e7
A: http://gyazo.com/e019c33314ce8a189b798ba2661fd437

they also go to use the same method for the inf

Also, isn't it a contradiction as I reached the statement for all Y <= X/A which is not true as there is a Y > X/A? (by the archimedean postulate)

phospho said:
Also, isn't it a contradiction as I reached the statement for all Y <= X/A which is not true as there is a Y > X/A? (by the archimedean postulate)

DrClaude pointed out to you in post #7 that you have an algebra error in your argument that the rest of us overlooked.

Regardless of that mistake, I can not make heads or tails of your reasoning, even if the algebra had been correct. So, no, I don't consider it a correct proof.

Finally, pasmith showed you in post #3 the obvious way to work the problem. I suggest you think about that.

OK going about it a pasmith's way:

I previously proved in the question before that for any ## a \geq 2 ## ## a^n > n ##. This question also hints to use for any "## \epsilon > 0 \exists n \in \mathbb{N} ## s.t. ## 1/n < \epsilon ##. So with this we get ##n > 1/\epsilon ## so take for 3^n ## 3^n > n > 1/\epsilon ## so ## \epsilon > 1/3^n ## which would be the same as saying ## \frac{1}{3} \epsilon > 1/3^n ## and by similar arguments you'd get the same for 2^-m and 5^-p and adding this you get ## \epsilon > \frac{1}{2^m} + \frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{1}{5^p} ##

but I don't understand how this shows the inf is 0?

phospho said:
OK going about it a pasmith's way:

I previously proved in the question before that for any ## a \geq 2 ## ## a^n > n ##. This question also hints to use for any "## \epsilon > 0 \exists n \in \mathbb{N} ## s.t. ## 1/n < \epsilon ##. So with this we get ##n > 1/\epsilon ## so take for 3^n ## 3^n > n > 1/\epsilon ## so ## \epsilon > 1/3^n ## which would be the same as saying ## \frac{1}{3} \epsilon > 1/3^n ##

Why would ##\epsilon > \frac 1 {3^n}## be the same as saying ## \frac{1}{3} \epsilon > 1/3^n ##? They don't look the same to me.

and by similar arguments you'd get the same for 2^-m and 5^-p and adding this you get ## \epsilon > \frac{1}{2^m} + \frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{1}{5^p} ##

but I don't understand how this shows the inf is 0?

You need to read post #3 again and actually try what he says.

With respect to not seeing how this shows the inf is 0, what are the two things you need to show that inf(S) = 0? It would be good to have them carefully in mind if you are trying to prove it.

Related to Proof of Inf(S) = 0 for Set S in Haggarty's Analysis Book

1. What is the proof of Inf(S) = 0 for Set S in Haggarty's Analysis Book?

The proof of Inf(S) = 0 for Set S in Haggarty's Analysis Book states that for any set S of real numbers, the infimum (greatest lower bound) of S is equal to 0 if and only if 0 is a lower bound for S and for any positive real number ε, there exists an element xεS such that x > -ε. This means that for any set S, if there is no lower bound for S and for any small positive number we can always find an element in S that is larger than that number, then the infimum of S is equal to 0.

2. How does this proof relate to the concept of infimum?

The proof of Inf(S) = 0 for Set S in Haggarty's Analysis Book is directly related to the definition of infimum. The infimum of a set is defined as the greatest lower bound, meaning that it is the largest number that is still smaller than or equal to all the elements in the set. In this proof, we are showing that if the infimum is equal to 0, then it satisfies the definition of being a lower bound for the set and also being smaller than any positive number that is chosen. Therefore, this proof solidifies the concept of infimum and provides a mathematical justification for its definition.

3. Why is this proof important in analysis?

This proof is important in analysis because it provides a fundamental understanding of the concept of infimum and its properties. It also shows the relationship between infimum and other mathematical concepts, such as lower bounds and positive numbers. This proof is often used as a building block for more advanced concepts and proofs in analysis, making it a crucial foundation for understanding the subject.

4. Can this proof be applied to sets other than real numbers?

No, this proof specifically applies to sets of real numbers. The definition of infimum and the properties used in this proof are specific to the real number system. Other number systems, such as complex numbers or integers, have different definitions and properties for their infimums and cannot be proven using this method.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this proof?

Yes, this proof can be applied to real-life situations where we need to find the smallest possible value or lower bound. For example, in finance, this proof can be used to determine the minimum amount of money needed to invest in a stock or project. In physics, this proof can be used to find the minimum amount of energy required for a certain outcome. It is a useful tool in various fields where precise calculations are necessary.