Analysis Question Homework: Find A' in Set A={1/n+1/m: n,m Naturals}

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary: I'll find that 1/5 is a limit point for each of those values. so 1/5 is a limit point of the set. is that what you're asking?Yes, 1/5 is a limit point of the set.
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

consider the set A={1/n+1/m: n,m are natural numbers}. find A'

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the problem is asking me. I don't know what A' represents here. I assume that A' stands for the set of the limit points of A because this is an Analysis problem and Rudin's Analysis use that notation for the set of all limit points. but I'm not 100% sure. Does anyone know what A' represents here?
If A' stands for the set of all limit points, then what should I do to find all the limit points of A? I know that 0 is a limit point of the set, because any open ball (with arbitrary radius) centered at 0 contains an infinite number of points in the neighborhood and I can show that in a fairly easy way. but I don't know whether there are other limit points or not. I guess 0 is the only limit point of the set if the metric space that we're working with is Real numbers. but how can I prove that? I guess I need to show that for any other real number, I can find delta such that the neighborhood of that number within the radius delta contains only a finite number of points in A and therefore that real number can not be a limit point of A. am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
May it be the complementary set of A ?

I doubt that because in the same problem set it uses Ac for A compliment.

Yes, A' is the set of limit points of set A (. If A has no "isolated points" then A' is also the closure of A. Note that 1/n+ 1/n= (n+ m)/mn. Now, if a and b are any two integers, under what conditions on a and b must there exist integers, m, n such that n+ m= a and mn= b?

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, A' is the set of limit points of set A (. If A has no "isolated points" then A' is also the closure of A. Note that 1/n+ 1/n= (n+ m)/mn. Now, if a and b are any two integers, under what conditions on a and b must there exist integers, m, n such that n+ m= a and mn= b?

well,I have no knowledge of number theory and I know only some few things from naive number theory backing high school but we can solve n^2 - an + b and find if it has any integer roots. by quadratic formula, we have: n = (a[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{a^2 - 4b}[/itex])/2. if we want n to be an integer then a^2-4b must be a perfect square. if a^2-4b=k^2 and a[itex]\pm[/itex]k is even then n exists. if n exists, then m exists if and only if n|b. am I right?

but I don't quite understand why we need to know that. how is that relevant to finding the limit points of A?

Any ideas?

Can you show that things of the form 1/n are also in A'??

In general, you must find the limits of all sequences in A. So can you show that all sequences in A either converge to 1/n or to 0?

micromass said:
Can you show that things of the form 1/n are also in A'??

In general, you must find the limits of all sequences in A. So can you show that all sequences in A either converge to 1/n or to 0?

Do you mean that I have to fix one of the two fractions like 1/m and show that the other one forms a sequence that I can converge to any term of it I want? I think I'm lost.

AdrianZ said:
Do you mean that I have to fix one of the two fractions like 1/m and show that the other one forms a sequence that I can converge to any term of it I want? I think I'm lost.

Well, perhaps you can begin by showing that it suffices to look at sequences

[tex]\frac{1}{n_0}+\frac{1}{m_0}, \frac{1}{n_1}+\frac{1}{m_1}, \frac{1}{n_2}+\frac{1}{m_2}, \frac{1}{n_3}+\frac{1}{m_3},...[/tex]

such that [itex]n_0\geq n_1\geq n_2\geq n_3\geq ...[/itex] and [itex]m_0\geq m_1\geq m_2\geq m_3\geq ...[/itex]?

By the way, did you already show that 1/n is a limit point for each n?

micromass said:
Well, perhaps you can begin by showing that it suffices to look at sequences

[tex]\frac{1}{n_0}+\frac{1}{m_0}, \frac{1}{n_1}+\frac{1}{m_1}, \frac{1}{n_2}+\frac{1}{m_2}, \frac{1}{n_3}+\frac{1}{m_3},...[/tex]

such that [itex]n_0\geq n_1\geq n_2\geq n_3\geq ...[/itex] and [itex]m_0\geq m_1\geq m_2\geq m_3\geq ...[/itex]?

By the way, did you already show that 1/n is a limit point for each n?

I'm not quite understanding what you're explaining.

I guess you mean that 1/n is a limit point for each n because I can always choose m sufficiently large in such a way that any neighborhood centered at 1/n contains an infinite number of points of A?
for example if I want to show that 1/5 is a limit point of the set, I can see that if I choose the radius of the neighborhood to be 0.5(just as an example) then by choosing m>=2 then N(1/n,0.5) contains an infinite number of points of A. am I right?

AdrianZ said:
I'm not quite understanding what you're explaining.

I guess you mean that 1/n is a limit point for each n because I can always choose m sufficiently large in such a way that any neighborhood centered at 1/n contains an infinite number of points of A?
for example if I want to show that 1/5 is a limit point of the set, I can see that if I choose the radius of the neighborhood to be 0.5 then by choosing m>=2 then N(1/n,0.5) contains an infinite number of points of A. am I right?

Yes, you are right, but try to do it with sequences. Can you find a sequence in A that converges to 1/n?

micromass said:
Yes, you are right, but try to do it with sequences. Can you find a sequence in A that converges to 1/n?

a(m)=1/m+1/n. (a: N-> A) you mean a sequence like this? does this work?

AdrianZ said:
a(m)=1/m+1/n. (a: N-> A) you mean a sequence like this? does this work?

Yes, this works.
Now try to show (with sequences) that no other point is a limit point.

micromass said:
Yes, this works.
Now try to show (with sequences) that no other point is a limit point.

then I guess that zero is not a limit point. am I right?
Now I intuitively know what we're doing, but I'm still a little bit confused. Do you mean to show that x is a limit point of A I should show that there exists a sequence a:N -> A that maps every natural number to a point of A?
How can I show that there is no other limit point of A except the ones that are of the form 1/n? It seems somehow obvious now, but I'm having problem with giving a formal argument.

AdrianZ said:
then I guess that zero is not a limit point. am I right?

Nono, 0 IS a limit point of course. 0 and 1/n are all the limit points. Sorry if I confused you.

Now I intuitively know what we're doing, but I'm still a little bit confused. Do you mean to show that x is a limit point of A I should show that there exists a sequence a:N -> A that maps every natural number to a point of A?
How can I show that there is no other limit point of A except the ones that are of the form 1/n? It seems somehow obvious now, but I'm having problem with giving a formal argument.[/QUOTE]

You must show that every convergent sequence of terms in A converges to either 1/n or 0. So take a convergent sequence in A, this has the form

[tex]\frac{1}{n_0}+\frac{1}{m_0},\frac{1}{n_1}+\frac{1}{m_1}, \frac{1}{n_2}+\frac{1}{m_2},\frac{1}{n_3}+\frac{1}{m_3},...[/tex]

and see if you can prove that this converges to either something of the form 0 or 1/n.

micromass said:
Nono, 0 IS a limit point of course. 0 and 1/n are all the limit points. Sorry if I confused you.

How can I show that there is no other limit point of A except the ones that are of the form 1/n? It seems somehow obvious now, but I'm having problem with giving a formal argument.

You must show that every convergent sequence of terms in A converges to either 1/n or 0. So take a convergent sequence in A, this has the form

[tex]\frac{1}{n_0}+\frac{1}{m_0},\frac{1}{n_1}+\frac{1}{m_1}, \frac{1}{n_2}+\frac{1}{m_2},\frac{1}{n_3}+\frac{1}{m_3},...[/tex]

and see if you can prove that this converges to either something of the form 0 or 1/n.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm still confused for 3 reasons:
1- Rudin defines that p is a limit point of the set E if every neighborhood of p contains a point q[itex]\neq[/itex]p such that q[itex]\in[/itex]E. therefore a limit point of a set may not be an element of it. am I right?
2- I don't understand how I should deal with that sequence. we got two variables in that sequence and I don't know how to handle it. I also have not taken multi-variable calculus yet but I guess I should keep one constant and vary the other one. dealing with a 2 variable sequence is the part that I get confused.
3- I don't understand how I'm supposed to show that 1/n and 0 are the only limit points of A using sequences. and also I've not reached chapter 3 of Rudin's analysis yet to know if Rudin has provided any theorems or methods about sequences that can be used for finding limit points of a set.

AdrianZ said:

and see if you can prove that this converges to either something of the form 0 or 1/n.

I guess I'm still confused for 3 reasons:
1- Rudin defines that p is a limit point of the set E if every neighborhood of p contains a point q[itex]\neq[/itex]p such that q[itex]\in[/itex]E. therefore a limit point of a set may not be an element of it. am I right?
[/QUOTE]

No, that is not correct. A limit point can be an element of the set. A point p is a limit point of E if every neighborhood around p contains a point in E different from p. This does not exclude p from being an element of E.
For example, the limit points of the open interval ]0,1[ is [0,1]. Try to verify that.

An analogous statement is that p is a limit point of E, if there exists a sequence in E\{p} that converges to p.

2- I don't understand how I should deal with that sequence. we got two variables in that sequence and I don't know how to handle it. I also have not taken multi-variable calculus yet but I guess I should keep one constant and vary the other one. dealing with a 2 variable sequence is the part that I get confused.
3- I don't understand how I'm supposed to show that 1/n and 0 are the only limit points of A using sequences. and also I've not reached chapter 3 of Rudin's analysis yet to know if Rudin has provided any theorems or methods about sequences that can be used for finding limit points of a set.

Well, forget about the two variable sequence for a while then. Suppose that we have a sequence [itex](x_n)_n[/itex] in A that converges to a point. Our job is to show that the point is 1/n or 0. Now, showing this immediately can be difficult, so let's first simplify our task. Can you show that it sufficed to take [itex](x_n)_n[/itex] a decreasing sequence?? I.e. can you show that a strictly increasing sequence in A cannot converge?

(hint: try to show first that an strictly increasing sequence in {1/n | n>0} cannot converge)

micromass said:
No, that is not correct. A limit point can be an element of the set. A point p is a limit point of E if every neighborhood around p contains a point in E different from p. This does not exclude p from being an element of E.
For example, the limit points of the open interval ]0,1[ is [0,1]. Try to verify that.

An analogous statement is that p is a limit point of E, if there exists a sequence in E\{p} that converges to p.
I know that it can be an element of the set as well. but even if it wasn't, there would be no problems. right? because I used to think that it must be an element of E and that made me confused.

Well, forget about the two variable sequence for a while then. Suppose that we have a sequence [itex](x_n)_n[/itex] in A that converges to a point. Our job is to show that the point is 1/n or 0. Now, showing this immediately can be difficult, so let's first simplify our task. Can you show that it sufficed to take [itex](x_n)_n[/itex] a decreasing sequence?? I.e. can you show that a strictly increasing sequence in A cannot converge?

(hint: try to show first that an strictly increasing sequence in {1/n | n>0} cannot converge)

when we say a sequence{xn} is in A that means every xn is in A. am I right? here is where I get confused again. if we say that 0 is a limit point of A, then there must be a sequence from N -> A that converges to 0. but 0 is obviously not in A. so how can any sequence in A converges to an element that doesn't exist in the set?

I don't understand what you're saying at all :D This is the first time that I feel I don't understand a word of something about math :D I'm confused xD

AdrianZ said:
when we say a sequence{xn} is in A that means every xn is in A. am I right? here is where I get confused again. if we say that 0 is a limit point of A, then there must be a sequence from N -> A that converges to 0. but 0 is obviously not in A. so how can any sequence in A converges to an element that doesn't exist in the set?

Well, the sequence 1/n converges to 0, right?? And 0 is not in A?

I don't understand what you're saying at all :D This is the first time that I feel I don't understand a word of something about math :D I'm confused xD

Welcome to Rudin.

micromass said:
Well, the sequence 1/n converges to 0, right?? And 0 is not in A?
Yea, but How is that possible? Can we have a sequence in real numbers that converges to a complex number?

Welcome to Rudin.
hahaha. This sequence thing was phreaking confusing because I kept getting confused what we were talking about lol. Would you solve this particular problem for me that I read it and see if I can understand it when I have the proof?

AdrianZ said:
Yea, but How is that possible? Can we have a sequence in real numbers that converges to a complex number?

No, this is not possible. The real numbers are closed in the complex numbers. That means that a sequence inside the reals cannot get out of the reals.
But a sequence in A can get out of A: indeed, the sequence 1/n converges to 0, so it gets out of A. So A is not closed.

Related to Analysis Question Homework: Find A' in Set A={1/n+1/m: n,m Naturals}

1. What is A' in the given set A?

A' is the set of all elements in A that are not included in the original set. In other words, A' contains all elements that are not of the form 1/n+1/m, where n and m are natural numbers.

2. How do you find A' for the given set A?

To find A', we need to first list out all the elements in A. Then, we can cross out all elements of the form 1/n+1/m and what remains will be the elements in A'. In this case, A' would be the set of all natural numbers that are not of the form 1/n+1/m.

3. Is A' a finite or infinite set?

A' is an infinite set. This is because the set of natural numbers is infinite and for every natural number, there will always be a corresponding element of the form 1/n+1/m that is not included in the set A.

4. Can A' be written in a different form?

Yes, A' can be written as the set of all irrational numbers. This is because for any irrational number, there will not exist any natural numbers n and m that can make it of the form 1/n+1/m.

5. How is the concept of A' useful in mathematics?

The concept of A' is useful in mathematics as it helps us to identify and understand the complement of a given set. It also helps us to better understand the properties and characteristics of sets, such as infinite sets and irrational numbers.