Finding direction of net force and direction of travel

In summary: At t = 0.7 s, the magnitude and angle of the net force on the particle are 10.448 N and 148 degrees, respectively. The particle's direction of travel is at an angle of 148 degrees from the -x axis.
FL00D

Homework Statement

A 0.35 kg particle moves in an xy plane according to x(t) = - 11 + 1 t - 6 t3 and y(t) = 19 + 3 t - 8 t2, with x and y in meters and t in seconds. At t = 0.7 s, what are (a) the magnitude and (b) the angle (within (-180°, 180°] interval relative to the positive direction of the x axis) of the net force on the particle, and (c) what is the angle of the particle's direction of travel?

Homework Equations

Fx=m(ax)
Fy=m(ay)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part right by taking the second derivative of each plane and applying it to the equations.
(ax)= dvx/dt = -36t m/s^2
(ay) = dvy/dt = -16 m/s^2

and by applying the relevant equations
Fx= -8.82
Fy= -5.6

By using Pythagoras theorem I found that the net force to be
Fnet= 10.448
Which is right.

After drawing a picture
in part b my attempt to solve was
tan^-1(theta)= Fy/Fx

Which is tan^-1(theta) = -5.6/-8.82
theta = 32.41
which I got wrong

Part C
My attempt was applying in the velocity functions of both planes which are

Vx= 1-18t^2
Vy= 3-16t

and finding that

Vx= -7.82
Vy= -8.2

After that
tan^-1(theta)= -8.2/-7.82
theta= 46.358

which I also got wrong.Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part B, what is the angle you found in reference to?

Is this an online homework platform of some sort? If so, they may be sticklers for things like significant figures and so forth. To actually work through the problem, I'd have to take just a little time here.

For part B, remember that the given interval is from -180 degrees to 180 degrees. Using the inverse trig functions will give you an angle, but they will always be between 0 and 90. It is up to you to determine from which axis the angle should be measured from and make the adjustment. Which quadrant does the total force lie in?

gTurner said:
Is this an online homework platform of some sort? If so, they may be sticklers for things like significant figures and so forth. To actually work through the problem, I'd have to take just a little time here.

Significant figures don't matter right now. For raw computations with no analogue in experiment like this they don't ever matter except to teach people how to use them.

gTurner said:
For part B, remember that the given interval is from -180 degrees to 180 degrees. Using the inverse trig functions will give you an angle, but they will always be between 0 and 90. It is up to you to determine from which axis the angle should be measured from and make the adjustment. Which quadrant does the total force lie in?

Based on the drawing it should be in the 3rd quadrant.
I tried the negative angle and it was wrong.

Student100 said:
For part B, what is the angle you found in reference to?
In reference to the positive x-axis I suppose.

I am just confused now if I am supposed to use the negative angle or not because the net force is under the +x axis

FL00D said:
Based on the drawing it should be in the 3rd quadrant.
I tried the negative angle and it was wrong.

What negative angle did you try?

FL00D said:
In reference to the positive x axis.

The angle you found? No it isn't. It is in the third quadrant, like you stated, however.

Student100 said:
What negative angle did you try?
The angle you found? No it isn't. It is in the third quadrant, like you stated, however.
I think it was a wild try, makes no sense but I just added the negative sign.

What do you propose I should try

FL00D said:
I think it was a wild try, makes no sense but I just added the negative sign.

What do you propose I should try

First you need to realize what the 32 whatever degree angle is in reference too. Then you need to draw an angle from the positive x-axis to the vector that results in an angle between [180, -180].

Draw a picture.

Student100 said:
First you need to realize what the 32 whatever degree angle is in reference too. Then you need to draw an angle from the positive x-axis to the vector that results in an angle between [180, -180].

Draw a picture.
Snapshot.jpg

I am sorry for the drawing's quality, it's my first time using this site.It makes sense that the angle relative to the +x axis is negative and it's less than 90.

but the angle I get is positive. What possible negative angle I could get ?

I tried using sin(theta) = Fy/F

sin^-1(theta) = -5.6/10.44
theta = -32.41

since sin and cosine give angles from (-180,180] shouldn't this be right ?

FL00D said:
View attachment 89446

I am sorry for the drawing's quality, it's my first time using this site.It makes sense that the angle relative to the +x axis is negative and it's less than 90.

but the angle I get is positive. What possible negative angle I could get ?

I tried using sin(theta) = Fy/F

sin^-1(theta) = -5.6/10.44
theta = -32.41

since sin and cosine give angles from (-180,180] shouldn't this be right ?

No worries on drawing quality, but your picture is wrong. If you want to add $$F_y\hat{y}$$ and $$F_x\hat{x}$$ to produce $$\vec{F}$$ how would add them together graphically?

Student100 said:
No worries on drawing quality, but your picture is wrong. If you want to add $$F_y\hat{y}$$ and $$F_x\hat{x}$$ to produce $$\vec{F}$$ how would add them together graphically?
Snapshot.jpg

I realized my mistake, this one should be right ? So our angle is greater than 90 and is negative.

FL00D said:
View attachment 89451

I realized my mistake, this one should be right ? So our angle is greater than 90 and is negative.

Correct, write a formula for that angle now, what is the 32 in reference to?

Student100 said:
Correct, write a formula for that angle now, what is the 32 in reference to?
It is in reference to the -x axis.

Theta = 180-32= 148 degrees in negative

Last edited:
FL00D said:
It is in reference to the -y axis.

Theta = 180-32= 148 degrees in negative
That works, I would just say -180+32 = -148

Now retry part C!

Student100 said:
That works, I would just say -180+32 = -148

Now retry part C!
Snapshot.jpg

These are the velocity vectors and their sum

Shouldn't the angle be the same ? Or is it the same problem with the drawing ?

FL00D said:
View attachment 89453

These are the velocity vectors and their sum

Shouldn't the angle be the same ? Or is it the same problem with the drawing ?

Same error with the drawling, redraw the resultant after adding the two component vectors.

Student100 said:
Same error with the drawling, redraw the resultant after adding the two component vectors.
Nice, thank you very much!

We had a whole chapter about vectors and we learned that we were supposed to do it the way I did it, why is it wrong for the velocity vector to be this way ?

FL00D said:
Nice, thank you very much!

We had a whole chapter about vectors and we learned that we were supposed to do it the way I did it, why is it wrong for the velocity vector to be this way ?

Really, you guys learned to do it the wrong way then. Most likely you missed something or got confused when they were teaching it.

A vectors component can be represented by a vector itself by multiplying it with a base vector (what you were drawing.) Then to add them graphically you can place the head of one at the tail of the other, which produces 1/2 of a parallelogram. The resultant is from the beginning and terminal ends of the parallelogram.

So the way you're drawing it is the wrong way for any vector! What you're actually drawing is the displacement vector between two points.

Student100 said:
Really, you guys learned to do it the wrong way then. Most likely you missed something or got confused when they were teaching it.

A vectors component can be represented by a vector itself by multiplying it with a base vector (what you were drawing.) Then to add them graphically you can place the head of one at the tail of the other, which produces 1/2 of a parallelogram. The resultant is from the beginning and terminal ends of the parallelogram.

So the way you're drawing it is the wrong way for any vector! What you're actually drawing is the displacement vector between two points.
That's disappointing to know that I've learned something wrong.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate what you did here.

FL00D said:
That's disappointing to know that I've learned something wrong.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate what you did here.

No problem, it's good to catch these misunderstands early! Glad I could help.

1. What is the net force and how do you find it?

The net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. To find the net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

2. How do you determine the direction of the net force?

The direction of the net force is determined by the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the object. This means that you need to consider both the direction and magnitude of each force, and add them together to find the overall direction of the net force.

3. Is the direction of the net force always the same as the direction of travel?

No, the direction of the net force and the direction of travel are not always the same. The direction of travel is the direction in which an object is moving, while the direction of the net force is the direction in which all the forces acting on the object are combined. In some cases, the net force may be in the same direction as the direction of travel, but in others, it may be in a different direction.

4. How does the direction of the net force affect an object's motion?

The direction of the net force affects an object's motion by determining the direction in which it will accelerate. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the net force is at an angle to the object's motion, it will cause the object to change direction.

5. Can you determine the direction of the net force without knowing the individual forces?

No, you cannot determine the direction of the net force without knowing the individual forces. In order to find the net force, you need to know both the direction and magnitude of each individual force acting on the object. Without this information, you cannot accurately determine the direction of the net force.