Finding Displacement: Psychic Squishy Sounds Band's Tour in Texas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mikaelangel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Displacement
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Mikaelangel
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The Psychic Squishy Sounds band is on tour in Texas and now are resting in Houston. They traveled 60.0 miles due south from their first concert to Huntsville. If Huntsville is 80.0 miles due north of Houston, what is their displacement from the first concert to Houston? Use the convention that north is positive, and south is negative.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



+20 - Houston
|
|
0 - First concert
|
|
|
|
-60 - Huntsville


20-0 = 20miles . What to make sure if this is correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mikaelangel said:
Huntsville is 80.0 miles due north of Houston

Does that match your picture?
 
so, what is the displacement? I just get the problem statement. The picture just shows how I understood the problem.
 
Mikaelangel said:
so, what is the displacement? I just get the problem statement. The picture just shows how I understood the problem.

According to the question Huntsville should be north of Houston, but you drew it south of Houston.