Finding displacement of a drag car stopping

In summary: The 100 m/s was in the positive direction, so the -2.5 m/s^2 must be in the opposite direction, note the negative sign.In summary, the drag racer accelerates to 1/4 mile at a constant acceleration of 12.427 m/s2 starting from rest. After 40 seconds, the parachute opens and the car decelerates to a stop. The final velocity for the first segment is 100 m/s. Using the formula x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2, the displacement for the second segment is found to be 2000 m.
CL1349

Homework Statement

A drag racer, starting from rest, accelerates to ¼ mile with a constant acceleration whose magnitude is 12.427 m/s2. At the end of the ¼ mile, a parachute opens, slowing the car down and bringing the car to a stop after 40 seconds. From the time the parachute opened, how far did the race car travel?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + AT

The Attempt at a Solution

I split the problem into two parts. The first 1/4, and the 3/4 section. With only the acceleration and initial velocity given, I'm kinda lost as to what I should find. I tried to find the final velocity before the parachute opens by doing this:

(0 m/s) + (12.427 m/s2)( t ) = Vf

I got 12.427 m/s^2 (t) as the final velocity.

Then I tried to plug that velocity into the second part as the initial velocity.

A = (Vf - Vi) / T

A = (0 m/s) - (12.427 m/s^2) T / T

I canceled out the time.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with

0 m/s - 12.427 m/s^2 = a

I don't think I did it right. It's really confusing and frustrating me. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The two times may be different; you can't cancel them.
For the first quarter mile, you know the distance and the acceleration.
From that, you should be able to find out anything you would like to know about that part of the motion - time, final velocity, etc. But you must use both the known acceleration and distance. Look through your list of formulas for one that has just the two knowns and something you would like to find, perhaps time or final velocity.

The final velocity for the first part is the initial velocity for the deceleration. Make sure you find it before going on to the deceleration part.

Thanks for the reply. I see what I did wrong now.

So I converted the 1/4 mile to 402.34 meters.

I found the final velocity of the first segment using [tex]
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
[/tex].

The final velocity was 100 m/s for the first segment.

100 m/s is the initial velocity for the other segment. I used [tex]
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
[/tex]

Vi = 100 m/s
T = 40 s
Vv = 0 m/s
a = -2/5 m/s^2

What I got for the displacement was 2000 m. Is that right?

Looks good! That must be a typo on the acceleration, -2.5 rather than -2/5.

It is so important to know what carries forward from one part to another.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations that relate to the given information. In this case, we have the acceleration (a = 12.427 m/s^2) and the time (t = 40 seconds) for the second part of the race, when the parachute is opened and the car comes to a stop. We also know that the initial velocity (Vi) is 12.427 m/s as the car starts from rest.

To find the displacement (d) of the car during this second part of the race, we can use the equation d = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2. Plugging in the values, we get d = (12.427 m/s)*(40 s) + 1/2*(12.427 m/s^2)*(40 s)^2 = 2490.8 meters.

Therefore, the race car traveled 2490.8 meters during the second part of the race, when the parachute was opened and it came to a stop.

1. How do you find the displacement of a drag car when it stops?

The displacement of a drag car when it stops can be calculated using the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time taken to stop, and a is the acceleration. This formula assumes that the acceleration is constant and there are no external forces acting on the car.

2. What is the importance of finding the displacement of a drag car stopping?

Finding the displacement of a drag car when it stops is important for understanding the performance of the car and making adjustments for future races. It also helps in analyzing the effectiveness of braking systems and identifying any potential issues.

3. How do you measure the time taken for a drag car to stop?

The time taken for a drag car to stop can be measured using a stopwatch or a timing system specifically designed for drag racing. The timing system is more accurate as it measures the time taken for the car to pass through a set of sensors placed at the start and finish line.

4. What factors can affect the displacement of a drag car when stopping?

The displacement of a drag car when stopping can be affected by several factors such as the initial velocity, the type and condition of the track surface, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the track, and the effectiveness of the braking system.

5. Can the displacement of a drag car when stopping be used to determine its maximum speed?

No, the displacement of a drag car when stopping cannot be used to determine its maximum speed. To calculate the maximum speed, the displacement must be measured over a longer distance and the acceleration must be constant. The displacement when stopping only provides information about the performance of the car during the braking process.