1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance of point to y-axis.

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a cartesian coordinate system, two lines r and s, with angular coefficients 2 and 1/2, respectively, intercept at the origin. If B [itex]\in[/itex] r and C [itex]\in[/itex] s are two points in the first quadrant such that the line segment BC is perpendicular to r and the area of the triangle OBC is 12x10-1, then what is the distance from point B to the y axis?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, first I found the relationship between OC and BC using the formula for the area of a triangle:
    [OBC] = 12x10-1 = 12/10 = 6/5 = (OB BC)/2

Now I am stuck. Whatever I do it seems like I am going around in circles..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

|OB| and |OC| don't have to be the same length.
    But you do know that [OBC] forms a special kind of triangle, and you know one of the apex angles.

You also need a point Q=(0,y) and look at the triangle [OBQ].
    You know one of these apex angles too.

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3
    Yeah, I know. But the relationship between |BC| and |OB| is that |BC| = 12/(5|OB|); right?

I did find all the angles of the triangle OBC, but they're not your usual angles and since this problem was taken from a test where calculators are not allowed, you kind of know you're going the wrong way..

I think I am actually missing some sort of theorem or property that would make this whole problem easier, but I have no idea which.

5. Nov 18, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Reformulating - you want the x-coordinate of point B.

6. Nov 18, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... so, rewrite everything in terms of coordinates:

##y_r=2x, y_s=\frac{1}{2}x## ... right?
    So the position of the ponts B and C can be writen:
    ##\vec{B}=(x_b, y_b)=(1,2)x_b##
    ##\vec{C}=(x_c,y_c)=(2,1)x_c##

... and the area of the triangle [OBC] is:
    ##A=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{x_b^2+y_b^2}\sqrt{(x_b-x_c)^2+(y_b-y_c)^2}##

... that's three equations and four unknowns: you need one more equation: the line through B perpendicular to r, or Pythagoras on the sides of [OBC]?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook