1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance through a velocity-time

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The graph attached shows the speed of a car traveling in a straight line as a function of time. The value of Vc is 4.00 m/s and the value of Vd is 7.00 m/s. Calculate the distance traveled by the car from a time of 0.60 to 6.40 seconds.

2&3. Relevant equations + Attempt at a solution
    I know that the distance is the area under the graph. My and from t=1s to t=6.4s, I have the total. It's from t=0.6s to t=1s that I don't understand how to get.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You have a straight line on the graph for the first second, so the acceleration is constant. You can find it (slope), then use an accelerated motion formula to find the velocity at time 0.6 s. Or use linear interpolation - 60% of the t=1 speed at t =0.6.

That leaves you with finding the area under the trapezoid from 0.6 to 1 s. Look up the formula in wikipedia if you don't know it. Or split it into a rectangle plus a triangle and use area formulas you do know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook