1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding domain and ranges for composition function

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the domain and range of (f+g)(x)
    Given that
    F(x)= 1/(x-1) and g(x) = sqrt(x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I added the two functions to get 1/(x-1) + sqrt(x)

To get domain, i look at the restrictive x values for both to get x greater than 0 and not equal to 1.
    However how do i find the range?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Graph both functions separately, preferably using different colors for each graph. Then, using a third color, or a marker pen, go over the parts of the two graphs for which x ≥ 0 and x ≠ 1. From that graph it should be evident what the range of the sum function is.
    The graph of the product function is a parabola that opens downward. You should already have a technique for finding the vertex of a parabola. Let's say that the vertex is at (a, b). Then the range will be {y| -∞ < y ≤ b}.

BTW, you misposted this problem in one of the physics sections. This is a precalc type problem, so I moved it to this section.

4. Dec 14, 2013 #3
    is there another way to find the range without graphing it?
    the answer is y less than -0.7886 or y greater than 2.2287.
    How can you get to that precise of an answer when graphing it by hand??

5. Dec 14, 2013 #4

Mark44

They're probably using a graphing calculator or some graphing utility.

6. Dec 15, 2013 #5
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1387135472.474199.jpg
    For the second graph (f+g)(x)
    The range in the back of the book says y less than .75 but u can see clearly in the graph that it is less than 1 ... What is going on?

7. Dec 15, 2013 #6

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1387136498.132607.jpg
    I drew the graph out it is just a sketch and would not be accurate on the range.. Are you expected to know precisely where it is?

8. Dec 15, 2013 #7

Mark44

The graphs don't show the sum or difference of the two functions. Those (sum or difference) are the graphs of interest here.

9. Dec 15, 2013 #8
    The thing is how do you graph 1/(x-1) + sqrt (x)?

10. Dec 15, 2013 #9

Mark44

You can get a rough graph by doing it by hand. Pick values of x there are in the common domain for both functions (x ≥ 0, and x ≠ 1), the calculate the y-values.

As I said before, they are probably using a graphing calculator or computer graphics package.

11. Dec 15, 2013 #10
    So for example I would take 0.5 and plug it into the composite formula?

12. Dec 15, 2013 #11
    But the range won't be accurate right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted