Finding Effective Resistance using Kirchhoff's Rule

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving the determination of effective resistance between two points using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's junction and loop ( mesh ) rules, but was unsuccessful. He then attempted to solve the problem by using loops that contained an arbitrary cell, but was still unsuccessful. After some discussion, it was determined that the student was making algebraic mistakes.
Hijaz Aslam

Homework Statement

IQXOFuL.png

Find the effective resistance between the points 'x' and 'y'. When the middle Resistance is 5 ohms.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law - V=IR. Kirchhoff's Junction and Loop (Mesh) Rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the following diagram:
W0FHq0v.png

I got the correct answer when I took the loops 'ABCA' and 'ADBA' and resolved ##i_1## and ##i_2## (using Kirchhoff's Rules) in terms of ##i## and applied this into an imaginary loop which contains an arbitrary cell of emf ##V## (its terminals connected to 'x' and 'y') and finding ##R_{eq}=V/i##.

But when I tried doing this problem by taking the loops 'xADyx' (which contains an imaginary arbitrary cell) , then the loop 'xAByx' and then 'xCByx' and as above resolve ##i_1## and ##i_2## in terms of ##i## and when I find ##V/i## I get the wrong answer. I tried many times. Is there something I am doing wrong in the second case? Or am I repeatedly making algebraic mistakes?

One more question: My textbook resolves the above diagram using symmetry. In the text they take the current going through both the ##5\Omega## as same and similarly in both the ##10\Omega## resistors as same. How do they do that? How can I find symmetry in a circuit ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hijaz Aslam said:

Homework Statement

IQXOFuL.png

Find the effective resistance between the points 'x' and 'y'. When the middle Resistance is 5 ohms.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law - V=IR. Kirchhoff's Junction and Loop (Mesh) Rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the following diagram:
W0FHq0v.png

I got the correct answer when I took the loops 'ABCA' and 'ADBA' and resolved ##i_1## and ##i_2## (using Kirchhoff's Rules) in terms of ##i## and applied this into an imaginary loop which contains an arbitrary cell of emf ##V## (its terminals connected to 'x' and 'y') and finding ##R_{eq}=V/i##.

But when I tried doing this problem by taking the loops 'xADyx' (which contains an imaginary arbitrary cell) , then the loop 'xAByx' and then 'xCByx' and as above resolve ##i_1## and ##i_2## in terms of ##i## and when I find ##V/i## I get the wrong answer. I tried many times. Is there something I am doing wrong in the second case? Or am I repeatedly making algebraic mistakes?
Do all of your loops contain the 'arbitrary cell'? If not, can you show your loops on a diagram?

You'll have to show your algebra in order for anyone to be able comment on it.
One more question: My textbook resolves the above diagram using symmetry. In the text they take the current going through both the ##5\Omega## as same and similarly in both the ##10\Omega## resistors as same. How do they do that? How can I find symmetry in a circuit ?
It can be a bit of an art, recognizing symmetry in a circuit. Here you could rotate the circuit so that x appears in the top right and y the lower left, and the result would be indistinguishable from the original save for a re-labeling of the nodes. So the same EMF applied in either orientation should yield the same currents for the components. Rotating the circuit and applying the EMF to the result is identical to just swapping the EMF polarity on the original circuit. Current directions may change, but their magnitudes must be the same. These two facts taken together should convince you that the currents in the same-valued resistor pairs must be the equal.

Gneill - Thanks for your answer.
gneill said:
Do all of your loops contain the 'arbitrary cell'? If not, can you show your loops on a diagram?
Yes all the loops I took into consideration contains the arbitrary cell.
2QGCI2w.png

I took the loops 'xCByZx', 'xADyZx' and 'xAByZx'.

gneill said:
You'll have to show your algebra in order for anyone to be able comment on it.
The Algebra doesn't need much attention, I would like to know whether I am making any theoretical mistake in the selection of the loops.

Thanks

Hijaz Aslam said:
The Algebra doesn't need much attention, I would like to know whether I am making any theoretical mistake in the selection of the loops.
No, so long as each component in the circuit is passed through at least once by the set of loops you are fine.

I think I covered almost all the components in the circuit considering those three loops. Might be some algebraic error (But I tried it multiple times, never got the correct answer).

Hijaz Aslam said:
I think I covered almost all the components in the circuit considering those three loops. Might be some algebraic error (But I tried it multiple times, never got the correct answer).
"Almost" doesn't work. But I can see that your choice of loops does cover all the components. You should note that your loops do not all have to pass through the voltage source. It is sufficient that all components are covered. So for example:
Fig1.gif

would be a perfectly good set of loops to use.

gneill said:
"Almost" doesn't work. But I can see that your choice of loops does cover all the components. You should note that your loops do not all have to pass through the voltage source. It is sufficient that all components are covered. So for example:
View attachment 76786

would be a perfectly good set of loops to use.

I understand that. I got the answer following the above diagram. But I can't find any reason why I am wrong in selecting the loops (all three of them) containing the voltage source. Am just worried whether I am missing out any important point.

Hijaz Aslam said:
I understand that. I got the answer following the above diagram. But I can't find any reason why I am wrong in selecting the loops (all three of them) containing the voltage source. Am just worried whether I am missing out any important point.

You can select any independent three loops. Show your equations, please, and then we find your mistake.

Hijaz Aslam said:
IQXOFuL.png
A little maths can support or dismiss an intuition ...

Imagine a current I1 from x to y through the top two resistors, and a corresponding current I2 through the bottom horizontal pair. Also, let a current IR flow from x to y via the top 10Ω through the unmarked vertical R and the lower 10Ω resistor.

Vxy calculated across the top horizontal resistors must equal the voltage Vxy across the lower horizontal resistors:

10 (I1 + IR) + 5 I1 = 10 (I2 + IR) + 5 I2

The obvious non-zero solution to this is that I1 = I2

So it follows that the current is identical in each 10Ω resistor. Likewise, the 5Ω resistors have equal currents.

To determine the current through the central resistor, calculate the potential difference between the points it connects to, and equate this to R × IR

The figures will reveal that, because of the symmetry, the upper end of R is as many volts less than Vx as the lower end is greater than Vy.
http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/37333/0363e9373324851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hijaz Aslam said:

Homework Statement

IQXOFuL.png

If you need just resistance between points x and y, use delta-wye transformation formulae to one of the loops with 3 resistors in the circuit.
It goes much faster this way.

Hijaz Aslam said:
Yes all the loops I took into consideration contains the arbitrary cell.
2QGCI2w.png

I took the loops 'xCByZx', 'xADyZx' and 'xAByZx'.The Algebra doesn't need much attention, I would like to know whether I am making any theoretical mistake in the selection of the loops.

Thanks
You can choose those loops. If you took the short-line terminal of the source positive, the loop equations are:
E=15I1-10I2
E=15i -15I1-5I2
E=10i+15I2.
What are yours?

Hijaz Aslam said:
I got the correct answer when I

What is this correct answer?

Is there anything noteworthy, striking, simple, about it?

Thanks for your support everyone. Pardon me for the late reply.

NascentOxygen said:
A little maths can support or dismiss an intuition ...

Imagine a current I1 from x to y through the top two resistors, and a corresponding current I2 through the bottom horizontal pair. Also, let a current IR flow from x to y via the top 10Ω through the unmarked vertical R and the lower 10Ω resistor.

Vxy calculated across the top horizontal resistors must equal the voltage Vxy across the lower horizontal resistors:

10 (I1 + IR) + 5 I1 = 10 (I2 + IR) + 5 I2

The obvious non-zero solution to this is that I1 = I2

So it follows that the current is identical in each 10Ω resistor. Likewise, the 5Ω resistors have equal currents.

To determine the current through the central resistor, calculate the potential difference between the points it connects to, and equate this to R × IR

The figures will reveal that, because of the symmetry, the upper end of R is as many volts less than Vx as the lower end is greater than Vy.
http://thumbnails112.imagebam.com/37333/0363e9373324851.jpg

NascentOxygen - Thanks! That quite explains why the values of the current are same. But I guess its more challenging to assume that without any mathematics (and that would be handy in competitive examinations.)

zoki85 said:
If you need just resistance between points x and y, use delta-wye transformation formulae to one of the loops with 3 resistors in the circuit.
It goes much faster this way.

I should try that. Thanks!

epenguin said:
What is this correct answer?

Is there anything noteworthy, striking, simple, about it?

The final answer turns out to be 7 ohms. Taking the smaller loops reduce the mathematics involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Kirchhoff's Rule?

Kirchhoff's Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Laws, are two fundamental principles that govern the behavior of electric circuits. These laws are used to analyze and solve complex circuits and are named after German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff.

What is Effective Resistance?

Effective Resistance, also known as total resistance, is the overall resistance of a circuit component or combination of components. It is the equivalent resistance that would produce the same current flow in a circuit as the original combination of resistors.

How do you find Effective Resistance using Kirchhoff's Rule?

To find the effective resistance in a circuit using Kirchhoff's Rule, you must first apply the two laws: Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. Then, you can use a combination of algebraic equations and circuit analysis techniques to solve for the effective resistance.

What are the limitations of using Kirchhoff's Rule?

While Kirchhoff's Rule is a powerful tool for analyzing electric circuits, it does have some limitations. These include assumptions about the ideal behavior of circuit components, simplifications of complex circuits, and the need for accurate measurements of current and voltage.

How is Kirchhoff's Rule applied in real-world scenarios?

Kirchhoff's Rule is widely used in the design and analysis of electrical systems, including household circuits, electronic devices, and power grids. It is also used in the development of advanced technologies such as satellite communication and medical devices.