Finding eigen values of a 2x2 matrix

In summary, the eigenvalues of the given 2x2 matrix are λ = ±i. This has relevance on the fixed points of the system, where vectors x1 and x2 satisfy Ax1 = ix1 and Ax2 = -ix2. Additionally, a system with eigenvalues of i and -i corresponds to a 90 degree planar rotation, which can be used to describe the behavior of the system using eigenvalue analysis.
andrey21
Find the eigenvalues of the following 2x2 matrix:

(0 1)/(-1 0)

Homework Equations

By using the forumla (a-λ)(d-λ) -bc I was able to obtain the following:

λ^(2) + 1 = 0
λ^(2) = -1

λ = ± √ (-1)

Is thos correct? Also what relevance does this have on the fixed points?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamiey1988 said:
Find the eigenvalues of the following 2x2 matrix:

(0 1)/(-1 0)

Homework Equations

By using the forumla (a-λ)(d-λ) -bc I was able to obtain the following:

λ^(2) + 1 = 0
λ^(2) = -1

λ = ± √ (-1)

Is thos correct? Also what relevance does this have on the fixed points?
Yes, they are correct. You can also write them as λ = ±i.

Regarding fixed points, you might be talking about this: For some vectors x1 and x2, Ax1 = ix1, and Ax2 =- ix2, where A is your matrix. i and -i are the eigenvalues and the x vectors are eigenvectors.

Thanks for that just needed some confirmation:)

I was just reading that if a system has eigen values of i and -i then this corresponds to a 90 degree planar rotation?

I ask because the question I am answering goes on to say.

Use eigen value analysis to dscribe the behaviour of the system.

Any help would be great

What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents a special characteristic of a matrix. It is calculated by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix, and it is associated with a corresponding eigenvector.

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a non-zero vector that, when multiplied by a given matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. It represents the direction in which the transformation of the matrix is scaled.

How do you find the eigenvalues of a 2x2 matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a 2x2 matrix, you first need to calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for the eigenvalues. Alternatively, you can use the trace and determinant of the matrix to find the eigenvalues without using the quadratic formula.

Why are eigenvalues important?

Eigenvalues are important because they can provide information about the behavior of a system represented by a matrix. They can help determine if a system is stable or unstable, and they can also be used to find the eigenvectors, which can provide insight into the direction of the transformation of the matrix.

Can a 2x2 matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This is because the eigenvalues are found by solving a quadratic equation, which can have complex solutions. Complex eigenvalues can also indicate that the corresponding eigenvectors are complex vectors.