1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Matrix A is as follows
    A= [4 -4 0
    2 -2 0
    -2 5 3]

and has 3 distinct eigenvalues λ1<λ2<λ3
    Let Vi be the unique eigenvector associated with λi with a 1 as its first nonzero component.
    Let
    D = [ λ1 0 0
    0 λ2 0
    0 0 λ3]

and P= [v1|v2|v3]

Find D and P.

2. Relevant equations
    not going to right it out but I know you find eigenvectors by (λI-A)X = 0
    and eigenvalues by det(λI-A).

3. The attempt at a solution

So I already found D with the eigenvalues as {0,2,3}

I tried to solve for P and got

[-1 -2 0
    1 1 0
    1 1 1]
    but this is wrong.

I am kinds confused b/c the textbook says (λI-A)X=0 but my professor uses (A-λI)X=0 in class!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The columns of ##P = [v_1 | v_2 | v_3]## should be eigenvectors of ##A##. But calculating ##Av_1## and ##Av_2## shows that the first two columns are not eigenvectors.

Both are correct. One is simply the negative of the other. Since a vector is zero if and only if its negative is zero, the equations are equivalent.

4. Apr 29, 2014 #3
    What do you mean? That the eigenvectors that I calculated v1,v2,v3 are not correct? Or that they are not actual eigenvectors?

What should I do then?

5. Apr 29, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are not eigenvectors:
    $$Av_1 = \begin{bmatrix}4 & -4 & 0 \\
    2 & -2 & 0 \\
    -2 & 5 & 3 \\
    \end{bmatrix}
    \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}
    =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    -8 \\ -4 \\ 10 \end{bmatrix}
    $$
    which is not a multiple of
    $$\begin{bmatrix}
    -1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}
    $$
    Similarly, ##A v_2## is not a multiple of ##v_2##.

6. Apr 29, 2014 #5
    So then what is/how do i find P?

7. Apr 29, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The columns of ##P## should be eigenvectors of ##A##. Your eigenvalues are correct. How did you calculate the corresponding eigenvectors? Maybe you just made an arithmetic mistake.

8. Apr 29, 2014 #7
    So I took each value 0,2,3 and did (A-λI)X = 0

For zero:
    (4-0) -4 0
    2 (-2-0) 0
    -2 5 (3-0)

then I reduced and got
    v1 = -1,-1,1
    and did same process for the other values and got

v2=-2,-1,1
    v3=0,0,1

Everytime I solve this problem I get the same values, but the signs change but the numbers are still the same. Have you tried solving it? Is this what you got? What could I be doing wrong?

9. Apr 29, 2014 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, that's fine. Using this ##v_1## we calculate ##Av_1 = 0##, so ##v_1## is an eigenvalue associated with the eigenvalue ##0##. In your original post you had v1 = [-1, 1, 1], so maybe you made a sign error last time you calculated it.
    Nope, using this ##v_2## I calculate ##A v_2 = [0, 0, -3]##, which is not a multiple of ##[-2, -1, 1]##.
    This is fine, assuming it goes with the eigenvalue 3.
    I think you're making sign errors in some of your calculations. Can you show how you computed ##v_2##?

10. Apr 29, 2014 #9
    Okay here is calculation again for v2:
    λ=2

(4-2) -4 0
    2 (-2-2) 0
    -2 5 1

simplified:
    2 -4 0
    2 -4 0
    -2 5 1

row 1 minus row 2
    2 -4 0
    0 0 0
    -2 5 1

row 1 plus row 3

2 -4 0
    0 0 0
    0 1 1

divide row one by 2

1 -2 0
    0 0 0
    0 1 1

x= 2t
    y= t
    z= -t

thus v2 = 2,1,-1

11. Apr 29, 2014 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, that calculation is correct. You originally had ##v_2 = [-2, 1, 1]##, so you probably made a sign error in your earlier attempt.

So let's summarize: you have eigenvalues ##0,2,3## with corresponding eigenvectors ##v_1 = [-1, -1, 1]##, ##v_2 = [2, 1, -1]##, and ##v_3 = [0, 0, 1]##. So your ##P## matrix could be
    $$P = [v_1 | v_2 | v_3] = \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & 2 & 0 \\
    -1 & 1 & 0 \\
    1 & -1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}$$
    However, there is one more thing the original problem asked for:
    Your ##v_1## has ##-1## as its first component, and your ##v_2## has ##-2##. So you have to normalize your vectors to get ##1## as the first nonzero component. (##v_3## is OK as is.)

12. Apr 29, 2014 #11
    Wait but doesn't normalizing a vector mean taking v1/||v1|| ?

How would that give me a 1 as the first nonzero component?
    Also if I use v2 = 2,1,-1 do I also need to normalize it if the 2 isn't negative?

13. Apr 29, 2014 #12

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I meant you need to scale the vectors so that the first nonzero component is 1. So for example, if you had an eigenvector ##v = [-3, 1, -5]## you would multiply it by -1/3 to get ##[1, -1/3, 5/3]##.

Note that any nonzero multiple of an eigenvector is still an eigenvector associated with the same eigenvalue, because if ##Av = \lambda v## then multiplying ##v## by a constant scalar ##c##, we get ##A(cv) = c(Av) = c(\lambda v) = \lambda(cv)##.

Generally there's no need to scale the eigenvectors in any particular way unless the problem requests it. Probably your instructor wants them scaled with a 1 in the first nonzero component so your answer is guaranteed to match his/hers if it is correct.

14. Apr 29, 2014 #13
    Okay so scaling would give me:
    1 2 0
    1 1 0
    -1 -1 1
    Is this correct?

15. Apr 29, 2014 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first and third columns are OK. The second column's first component is 2, not 1, so it is not scaled as requested.

16. Apr 29, 2014 #15
    whoops forget to scale that one! Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it! For some reason the scaling thing didn't register with me on what the professor wanted and I was confused with the sign changing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted