Finding electric potential of two concentric rings

In summary,The student has found the electric field in various regions, and found the electric potential. However, they are unsure of the potential for regions outside of the enclosed sphere.
Richardbryant

Homework Statement

Two concentric spheres have radii a and b with b>a. The region between them is filled with charge of constant density p. The charge density is zero everywhere else. Hence, find the electric field of all points , then find the electric potential.
2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case, Gauss' law should be used to derive the electric field of three region.
r∈[0,a) which the enclosed charge is zero, thus electric field is zero.
r∈[a,b) which the enclosed charge is4pi(r^3-a^3)p/3ε0 with the help of gauss law, and the surface integral is |E|4pi r^2 therefore the E field is p(r^3-a^3)/3ε0
r∈[b,infinity), similarly the electric field is given by p(b^3-a^3)/3ε0r^2
Which i believe the electric field i found should be correct.

Next, is to perform a line integral to determine the electric potential in various region.
According to my result, the region r∈[0,a) potential is zero, yet the solution claims to be p(b^2-a^2)/2ε0
r∈[a,b) is differ from what i had found, the solution claim is p/3ε0[(3b^2/2)-r^2/2-(a^3/r)]

I would like to know from which step(s) i had been doing wrong to get the wrong result.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, in the region [0,a) the electric field is 0, then the potential is costant (but not necessarily 0). The potential must be a continuous function, then in this region must have the same value as in the point R = a.
The approach you make to the problem seems to me correct. I will try to solve it to see what results I get.

Ok, let's calculate the electric field in the region [a, b). I think you have well the enclosed charge: $$Q_{enclosed}=\rho·\frac{4\pi}{3}·(R^{3}-a^{3})$$
but if we now apply the Gauss's law: $$E·4\pi·R^{2}=\rho·\frac{4\pi}{3\epsilon_{0}}·(R^{3}-a^{3})$$ we calculate: $$E·R^{2}=\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}·R^{3}-\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}a^{3}$$ And E is: $$E=\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}·R-\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}\frac{a^{3}}{R^{2}}$$
You can check these results (I can be wrong).

At the region [b,infinity), I think that the field are well calculated for you. Note that if you don't remove the 4 pi and calculates the total charge (from p and the volume), at the exterior the field is like of an puntual charge Q at the origin.
You can use these values for compute the potential.

alejandromeira said:
Ok, let's calculate the electric field in the region [a, b). I think you have well the enclosed charge: $$Q_{enclosed}=\rho·\frac{4\pi}{3}·(R^{3}-a^{3})$$
but if we now apply the Gauss's law: $$E·4\pi·R^{2}=\rho·\frac{4\pi}{3\epsilon_{0}}·(R^{3}-a^{3})$$ we calculate: $$E·R^{2}=\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}·R^{3}-\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}a^{3}$$ And E is: $$E=\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}·R-\frac{\rho}{3\epsilon_{0}}\frac{a^{3}}{R^{2}}$$
You can check these results (I can be wrong).

At the region [b,infinity), I think that the field are well calculated for you. Note that if you don't remove the 4 pi and calculates the total charge (from p and the volume), at the exterior the field is like of an puntual charge Q at the origin.
You can use these values for compute the potential.

Thank you for your reply.
Idon't understand why the electric potential has to be a a constant, would you mind to offer mind some physical explanation of this?

Ok. One reason, the Electric Field is the gradient of the potential, then the potential must be a continuous function for compute the field by derivative. The derivative of a constant potential gives a null electric field

Last edited by a moderator:
alejandromeira said:
Ok. One reason, the Electric Field is the gradient of the potential, then the potential must be a continuous function for compute the field by derivative. The derivative of a constant potential gives a null electric field

Thank you for your reply.
Up to this moment i can find all the electric field in various region, also, i had found the electric potential at the region r∈[b,infinity).
However, i couldn't compute the electric potential of the next two region left

I had solved it already thank you

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Only one thing, as the potential is continuous, you can use this condition to calculate the values at the boundary. (constants of integration). I don't like to use Barrow integrals.

Ok, by your comments, I think you are a good student. Congratulations, and don't stray. Physics is wonderful, we seek the origin of the universe.:ok::ok::ok:

alejandromeira said:

Only one thing, as the potential is continuous, you can use this condition to calculate the values at the boundary. (constants of integration). I don't like to use Barrow integrals.

Ok, by your comments, I think you are a good student. Congratulations, and don't stray. Physics is wonderful, we seek the origin of the universe.:ok::ok::ok:

Thank you! I am reading the book
alejandromeira said:

Thank you! When i got to it i actually think of this short cut, it definitely saves lots of time, yet none of my reference told me about that, what a pity.

In this type of problems, it seems to me that it is better to use indefinite integrals.
But beware, in other types, it may be better to use Barrow Integrals.

It depends of the problem.

1. How do you calculate the electric potential of two concentric rings?

To calculate the electric potential of two concentric rings, you need to know the charge of each ring, the distance between the two rings, and the distance from the center of the rings to the point where you want to find the potential. You can use the formula V=kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the ring, and r is the distance. You will need to calculate the potential for each ring and then add them together to get the total potential.

2. What is the Coulomb constant?

The Coulomb constant, denoted by k, is a fundamental constant in electrostatics that relates the force between two point charges to their distance. Its value is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. It is also known as the electric force constant or the electric constant.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The electric field is the gradient of the electric potential. This means that the electric field is the rate of change of the electric potential with respect to distance. In other words, the electric field tells us how the electric potential changes as we move away from a point charge. You can use the formula E=-dV/dr, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and r is the distance.

4. How does the electric potential change as you move away from the center of the concentric rings?

The electric potential decreases as you move away from the center of the concentric rings. This is because the electric potential is directly proportional to the distance from the center. As the distance increases, the electric potential decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the electric potential is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. Can the electric potential of two concentric rings ever be zero?

Yes, the electric potential of two concentric rings can be zero at certain points. This occurs when the charges on the two rings cancel each other out, resulting in a net charge of zero at that point. This is known as an equipotential point, where the electric potential is the same at all points on the surface. However, it is important to note that the electric potential is not zero everywhere between the two rings, just at specific points.