Finding energy of gamma ray with spectoscopy

In summary, the gamma spectrometer (NaI scintillator) can determine the energy of a given gamma ray. The process of photoelectric effect, compton effect, and pair production only transfers a small amount of the gamma ray's energy into the electron. The NaI scintillator has a calibration for a specific gamma ray energy, and can operate in pulse height mode or the dc cueent mode. Evans "The Atomic Nucleus" McGraw Hill (1955) is a useful book on the cross section theory for photoelectric, Compton, and pair production interactions.
dhqpwoe
Hey everyone,
I need to be able to be able to explain how a gamma spectrometer (NaI scintillator) can determine the energy of a given gamma ray (or more particularly, determines the effective dose rate, but that shouldn't be to hard once I figure out how to get the energy). The problem, as far as I can see is that 3 processes govern the device: photoelectric effect, compton effect, and pair production. Only in the photoelectric effect is (close to) the full amount of energy transferred from the gamma ray into the electron. In the compton effect, some particles won't even be measured at all.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, since you mention dose rate, I assume you are interested in radiation surveys, and not in physics determination of gamma ray energies. Second, I assume you have a calibration of the sodium iodide crystal for a specific gamma ray energy, such as cesium-137 (661 KeV). Third, do you have a known incident gamma ray spectrum (or spectra), and do you want to calculate the sodium iodide efficiency for this spectrum? Fourth, will you be operating the sodium iodide in the pulse-height mode, and not the dc cueent mode?

You should read the NIST report on X-ray mass attenualtin coefficients at
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/cover.html
and in particular the mass attenuation coefficient
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/chap2.html
And the mass-energy attenuation coefficient
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/chap3.html
Finally, once you have mastered these, look at the table and data table for cesium iodide (sodium iodide is not available)
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ComTab/cesium.html

Now, you will need to calculate the energy loss for your specific crystal, meaning the leakage of Compton-scattered secondary gamma rays, and for annihilation gammas from pair production. If you are operating in pulse height mode, you should understand the reason for the "backscatter" peak in the cesium-137 spectrum, and be able to calculate the energy and efficiency of this peak relative to the main peak.
I have found chapters 23, 24, and 25 of Evans "The Atomic Nucleus" McGraw Hill (1955) very useful on the cross section theory for photoelectric, Compton, and pair poroduction interactions. Figure 1.6, on page 717, gives a detailed graph of the mass attenuation coefficient in sodium iodide up to 100 MeV, showing the separate contributions of photoproduction, Compton, and pair production.

Thank you Bob. I am about to look over the NIST report and that book. You are correct that I am not interested in the physics determination of gamma ray energies. I am measuring the gamma dose rate of objects (in order to model the gamma dose rate field around them to determine if they are hazardous to health). I have a device that does in situ measurements and displays the dose rate immediately. I need to be able to explain what the device is doing to convert the spectroscopic measurements into dose rate.

1. How does spectroscopy determine the energy of a gamma ray?

Spectroscopy uses a device called a spectrometer to break down the gamma ray into its component wavelengths. By analyzing the wavelengths, the energy of the gamma ray can be determined.

2. What is the principle behind spectroscopy?

The principle behind spectroscopy is that every element and molecule has a unique energy signature, and this signature can be observed by analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by the element or molecule.

3. Can spectroscopy be used to detect all types of gamma rays?

Yes, spectroscopy can be used to detect all types of gamma rays, as long as the spectrometer used has a wide enough range to capture the full spectrum of wavelengths.

4. How accurate is spectroscopy in determining the energy of a gamma ray?

Spectroscopy is a highly accurate method of determining the energy of a gamma ray. The accuracy depends on the quality of the spectrometer and the skill of the scientist performing the analysis.

5. What are some practical applications of using spectroscopy to find the energy of gamma rays?

Spectroscopy is commonly used in fields such as astronomy, nuclear physics, and medical imaging to study and detect gamma rays. It can also be used in industrial processes to monitor radiation levels and ensure safety.