1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding equation with zeroes and max value

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    [Note: Thread moved to this forum by a mentor]

Hi all, the full question is:
    A parabola has zeroes at 5/2 and -3/2 and has an optimal value of 4. Determine equation of the parabola in factored form.

So I started out with 4 as my y-value on my vertex then took the zeroes(5/2 and -3/2), added them and divided by 2 to get the x-axis for the x-value in the vertex.
    Subbed in (.5,4) into factored form with the zeroes,
    y=a(x-r)(x-s)
    4=a(.5-5/2)(.5-(-3/2)
    4=a(-2)(2)
    4/-4=a
    -1=a
    So the equation should be y=-1(x-5/2)(x-(-3/2) or y=-1(2x-5)(2x+3)
    The answer sheet says its y=-1/4(2x-5)(2x+3)
    I have similar numbers but dont know where I went wrong. Any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

How did your second equation derive? What does an optimal value of 4 really mean?

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    isnt optimal value max value of y which would be the vertex

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suppose so, which would follow from 4 being the maximum value. The other common possibility being that it's a minimum, but then of course that would imply that there are no x-intercepts.

6. Feb 21, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It may be a maximum, or a minimum. Anyway, how do you usually find it and where? All you know is the y value of 4 I guess.

Where does this line come from?
    But maybe you are using another method than me. However, to find your deviation from the given result I need to know better what you are trying to do.

EDIT: Ok, I got it now. Everything is fine but the way you got rid of the factor 1/2 in the parenthesis. You multiplied twice by two and didn't correct it outside.

7. Feb 21, 2016 #6
    Thanks for the help guys, a buddy of mine solved it and showed me how. I wasnt simplifying x-5/2 into 2x-5 and x--3/2 into 2x+5 before is subbed in my vertex values and thats where I went wrong

8. Feb 21, 2016 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those answers are equivalent. except for the part crossed out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted