Finding Excited States of a Particle in a 1-D Potential

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
dats13
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The quaestion asks to determine the ground an first excited state of the wavefuntion of a particle in a 1-D potential given by [tex]V(x)=B\left | x \right |[/tex].

Homework Equations



The Time Independent Schrödinger Equation (TISE):

[tex]-\frac{\hbar}{2m}\frac{d^{2}\Psi }{dx^{2}}+V\Psi=E\Psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I substituted the potential into the TISE and with some rearraging of terms I get the following differential equation.

[tex]{\Psi}''+\frac{2m}{\hbar^{2}}(E-B\left | x \right |)\Psi=0[/tex]

This is where I'm stuck. I don't know how to solve this equation because of the potential is dependent on [tex]x[/tex]. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The general solutions will be Airy functions (or Bessel functions of order 1/3).
 
Ok, but I don't see how I would get bessel's equation. I'm guessing I would need to multiply the equation first by [tex]x^{2}[/tex].
 
Its much easier to get Airy's equation. Check how you can get that ;)
 
It turns out for this question I don't actually need to solve for the wavefunction. I just need to determine the curvature of it. Than from there I can get a rough sketch of the excited states, which is all the question asks for. I should have posted the full question, although I know what I need to do now. Thanks for your input Thaakisfox.