1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Particle moving in 1-D potential

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been attempting this one for a while now and so far it has been to no avail. The question itself is in the attached document.

I am given an expression that defines the wavefunction moving in 1-D over an interval and the time component is fixed with t=0.

2. Relevant equations

〖|ψ(x,0)|〗^2 = prob dist, in which likelihood of finding a particle at that point can be inferred.

3. The attempt at a solution

first of all I assume that (A) is a complex constant and as a result i multiply the wavefunction by its conjugate to get the following,

〖|ψ(x,0)|〗^2=|A|^2 (x^4-2x^3 a+x^2 a^2) which im not sure is correct and furthermore have no idea how to sketch it.

any guidance would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's correct, but it would probably be better not to multiply it out initially. Just leave it as
    $$|\Psi(x,0)|^2 =
    \begin{cases}
    |A|^2 (x-a)^2 x^2 & 0 \le x \le a \\
    0 & \text{otherwise}
    \end{cases}$$ Surely, you must have done curve sketching in algebra and calculus. Where does the function vanish? Where is it positive? Where is it negative? Where does it attain a maximum or a minimum?

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3
    ahh yes that makes it alot clearer, thanks for the help!

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4
    I'm also having difficulty with part b of this question.

I tried using a symmetry approach to try and deduce the value of |A| but in my working the |A|^2 term ends up being cancelled which is of no use to me.

again any pointers would be much appreciated.

6. Mar 16, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to use the normalization condition to determine |A|.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook