1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in harmonic oscillator potential

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle with mass m moves in 3-dimensions in the potential [tex]V(x,y,z)=\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2}[/tex]. What are the allowed energy eigenvalues?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The Hamiltonian is given by [tex]H=\frac{P^{2}}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}X^{2}[/tex] where P is the momentum operator in three dimensions. Projecting this into the coordinate basis, we have [tex]\left( -\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2}\right)\psi = \left(E + \frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\left( \frac{d^{2}}{dy^{2}}+\frac{d^{2}}{dz^{2}}\right) \right)\psi [/tex]
    The left side is now in the form of a simple harmonic oscillator. However, I am stuck after this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try assuming a solution of the form [itex]\psi(x,y,z)=X(x)Y(y)Z(z)[/itex].

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Hmm so if we assume that, then we find that [itex]E=E_{x}+E_{y}+E_{z}[/itex]. But [itex]E_{y}[/itex] and [itex]E_{z}[/itex] correspond to the eigenvalues of a free particle, since the particle is free in the y and z directions. So does this just mean that the eigenvalues are continuous, since the energy is only quantized along one direction?

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4
    Why do you say it's only quantized in one direction? And no, the energy is not continuous in this case.

6. Dec 5, 2011 #5
    Don't we just have [tex]E=E_{x}+E_{y}+E_{z}=(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar\omega+\frac{p_{y}^{2}}{2m}+\frac{p_{z}^{2}}{2m}[/tex]Then, since p_y and p_z are continuous, wouldn't we just have that the ground state energy is [itex]\frac{\hbar\omega}{2}[/itex] and that above that, the eigenvalues are continuous?

7. Dec 5, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes.
    Because the potential only depends on x. The particle isn't bound when moving in the y and z directions, so Ey and Ez can take on any value. Ex is quantized, but the total energy isn't.

8. Dec 5, 2011 #7
    Why do you treat y and z differently from x? your solution should be the same for X(x), Y(y) and Z(z). I would say [itex]n=n_x+n_y+n_z[/itex]

9. Dec 5, 2011 #8
    OMG, I'm sorry. I didn't read the OP carefully enough. Yes, then you are right. I was thinking of [itex]\frac{1}{2}m\omega r^2[/itex] where [itex]r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook