Finding F(q) for a Uniform Spherical Charge Model of the Proton

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jeebs
Messages
314
Reaction score
5
Here is the problem:

Use the fact that the form factor, F(q), is the Fourier transform of the normalised charge
distribution [tex]\rho[/tex](r), which in the spherically symmetric case gives

[tex]F(q) = \int \frac{4\pi \hbar r}{q}\rho(r) sin(qr/\hbar))dr[/tex]

to find an expression for F(q) for a simple model of the proton considered as a uniform
spherical charge distribution of radius R.

Using your calculated expression for F(q), demonstrate that in the limit
[tex]\frac{qR}{\hbar} << 1[/tex]
the form factor reduces to 1.

So, what I have tried so far:

I said that for 0 < r < R, the charge density is constant, and could be taken outside the integral along with the other constants, leaving me with

[tex]F(q) = \frac{4\pi \hbar \rho}{q}\int^R_0 r.sin(qr/\hbar)dr[/tex]

which when I integrate by parts leads to

[tex]F(q) = \frac{4\pi \hbar^3 \rho}{q^3}sin(qR/\hbar) - \frac{4\pi \hbar^2 \rho R}{q^2}cos(qR/\hbar)[/tex]

I am certain that I have done the integration correctly.

Then I come to the part where I make the approximation that [tex]\frac{qR}{\hbar} << 1[/tex] and this happens:
[tex]sin(qR/\hbar) \approx qR/\hbar[/tex]

and

[tex]cos(qR/\hbar) \approx 1[/tex]

which gives me

[tex]F(q) = \frac{4\pi \hbar^2 \rho R}{q^2} - \frac{4\pi \hbar^2 \rho R}{q^2} = 0[/tex]

but I am supposed to be getting F(q) = 1 when I make this approximation.

What am I doing wrong here? My only thought was that the question mentions something about normalization, and I thought that may have something to do with something, but I couln't think what. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I used a charge density of e/volume (3 e /4 pi R^3) integrated over all space in spherical polars & normalised it then put it in the equation. It basically just got rid of the e

But i still get 0 for the 2nd bit!
edit: Hooray, i get 1 using 2nd order approximations for sin & cos
 
Last edited: