What is the range of f(S) for z = e^(1/z)?

• Thread starter DeadOriginal
  • Start date
In summary, the homework asks to find a function where z is in the interval from 0 to r, where r is the radius of a disk. If z=x and Im(z)=0 then e^z is a circle, and if Re(z)=0 and Im(z)=y then e^y is a vector that points outwards from the origin at an angle of y. Combining these together all I can see is two circles, one inside the other bounding the area between them.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Determine ##f(S)## where ##f(z)=e^{\frac{1}{z}}## and ##S=\{z:0<|z|<r\}##.

*Edit: The function f is defined as ##f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a little confused as to what this problem is asking me to do. What I did was:

Let ##z=|z|e^{i\theta}##. Then
$$
\begin{align*}
f(z)=e^{\frac{1}{z}}=e^{\frac{1}{|z|e^{i\theta}}}=e^{\frac{\cos\theta-i\sin\theta}{|z|}}
=e^{\frac{\cos\theta}{|z|}}e^{-\frac{i\sin\theta}{|z|}}
=e^{\frac{\cos\theta}{|z|}}\left(\cos(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})-i\sin(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})\right).
\end{align*}
$$

Can I then say that ##f(S)=e^{\frac{\cos\theta}{|z|}}\left(\cos(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})-i\sin(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})\right)## for ##S=\{z:0<|z|<r\}## or is there something more to this problem that I am not seeing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

Determine ##f(S)## where ##f(z)=e^{\frac{1}{z}}## and ##S=\{z:0<|z|<r\}##.

*Edit: The function f is defined as ##f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a little confused as to what this problem is asking me to do. What I did was:

Let ##z=|z|e^{i\theta}##. Then
$$
\begin{align*}
f(z)=e^{\frac{1}{z}}=e^{\frac{1}{|z|e^{i\theta}}}=e^{\frac{\cos\theta-i\sin\theta}{|z|}}
=e^{\frac{\cos\theta}{|z|}}e^{-\frac{i\sin\theta}{|z|}}
=e^{\frac{\cos\theta}{|z|}}\left(\cos(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})-i\sin(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})\right).
\end{align*}
$$

Can I then say that ##f(S)=e^{\frac{\cos\theta}{|z|}}\left(\cos(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})-i\sin(\frac{\sin\theta}{|z|})\right)## for ##S=\{z:0<|z|<r\}## or is there something more to this problem that I am not seeing?

Yes, you are kind of spinning around. ##e^{\frac{1}{z}}=e^{\frac{1}{|z|}}e^{-i\theta}##. If 0<|z|<r where is 1/|z|?

If ##0<|z|<r## then we have ##\frac{1}{r}<\frac{1}{|z|}## and ##\frac{1}{|z|}\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow 0## but ##0<|z|## so we can safely say ##\frac{1}{|z|}<\infty##.

DeadOriginal said:
If ##0<|z|<r## then we have ##\frac{1}{r}<\frac{1}{|z|}## and ##\frac{1}{|z|}\rightarrow\infty## as ##|z|\rightarrow 0## but ##0<|z|## so we can safely say ##\frac{1}{|z|}<\infty##.

Ok, so 1/r<1/|z|<∞. S is a disk of radius r with a hole at z=0. What's f(S)?

Last edited:
If ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z}##, ##f(S)## would be a disk with a hole inside it centered at the origin with radius ##\frac{1}{r}## but in this case, the function is the exponential.

I think ##f(z)=e^z## maps z to a circle on the complex plane of radius Re(z) so I'm tempted to say f(S) is a mess of circles each with radius larger than ##Re(\frac{1}{r})##.

Edit** When I say a mess of circles, in my mind I picture a circle of radius ##\frac{1}{r}## that is expanding outwards.

DeadOriginal said:
If ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z}##, ##f(S)## would be a disk with a hole inside it centered at the origin with radius ##\frac{1}{r}## but in this case, the function is the exponential.

I think ##f(z)=e^z## maps z to a circle on the complex plane of radius Re(z) so I'm tempted to say f(S) is a mess of circles each with radius larger than ##Re(\frac{1}{r})##.

Edit** When I say a mess of circles, in my mind I picture a circle of radius ##\frac{1}{r}## that is expanding outwards.

f(z) isn't 1/z, if it were f(S) would be everything outside of a disk of radius 1/r. it's e^(1/z). Can you rethink that a little?

Last edited:
I can't seem to picture it. In class I was shown that if z=x and Im(z)=0 then e^z was a circle and if Re(z)=0 and Im(z)=y then e^y was a vector that pointed outwards from the origin at an angle of y. Combining these together all I can see is two circles, one inside the other bounding the area between them.

DeadOriginal said:
I can't seem to picture it. In class I was shown that if z=x and Im(z)=0 then e^z was a circle and if Re(z)=0 and Im(z)=y then e^y was a vector that pointed outwards from the origin at an angle of y. Combining these together all I can see is two circles, one inside the other bounding the area between them.

Oh, heck. I'm completely on the wrong track here and I apologize. What I said before is completely wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Please ignore everything I've said. I have to give this a serious rethink. Sorry again.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Oh, heck. I'm completely on the wrong track here and I apologize. What I said before is completely wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Please ignore everything I've said.

I'm confused. I don't see the point in this exercise if the work I was doing before your input was correct.

DeadOriginal said:
I'm confused. I don't see the point in this exercise if the work I was doing before your input was correct.

I think they probably want you use Picard's theorem about essential singularities.

Dick said:
I think they probably want you use Picard's theorem about essential singularities.

This problem comes from the first chapter in the textbook which is an introduction complex analysis. Picard's theorem comes in chapter 4.

Do you know if there is any way to parametrize S without ##x=|z|\cos\theta##, ##y=|z|\sin\theta##?

Last edited:
DeadOriginal said:
This problem comes from the first chapter in the textbook which is an introduction complex analysis. Picard's theorem comes in chapter 4.

Do you know if there is any way to parametrize S without ##x=|z|\cos\theta##, ##y=|z|\sin\theta##?

Don't parameterize at all. It's not going to be helpful, it's nasty any way you do it. Take a more direct approach. 1/z maps the disk to the exterior of the disk. Use what you know about the exponential map to say what f(S) must be. It's going to be all of the values you can get by applying exp to the exterior of the disk. The conclusion is actually pretty easy, if you think about it.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of finding f(S) for z = e^(1/z)?

The purpose of finding f(S) for z = e^(1/z) is to determine the function f(S) that will result in the given value of z. This can help in solving mathematical equations or understanding the behavior of the z variable in certain situations.

What is the mathematical significance of e^(1/z)?

The mathematical significance of e^(1/z) is that it represents the exponential function with a complex variable. It is commonly used in complex analysis and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you find the value of f(S) for a specific value of z?

To find the value of f(S) for a specific value of z, you can plug in the given value of z into the equation f(S) = e^(1/z). This will give you the corresponding value of f(S) for that particular value of z.

Can f(S) be expressed as a simple algebraic function?

No, f(S) cannot be expressed as a simple algebraic function since it involves the complex variable z. However, it can be expressed in terms of other mathematical functions such as trigonometric functions, logarithms, or power functions.

What is the relationship between f(S) and the complex variable z?

The relationship between f(S) and the complex variable z is that f(S) is the function that results in the given value of z when plugged into the equation f(S) = e^(1/z). In other words, f(S) is the inverse function of e^(1/z) for the given value of z.