1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding flux through surface where E field is function of x

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a region of space there is an electric field E(vector E) that is in the x-direction and that has magnitude E=(663 N/(C*m))x

Find flux for this field through a square in xy plane at z=0 and with side length 0.330m . One side of the square is along the +x-axis and another side is along the +y-axis.

I understand setting up the integral but I do not understand why there is a y in the answer

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

ΦE= ∫Ecos∅dA , where phi is the angle between the normal area vector and the E field. In this case E-field and A are parallel so cos∅=1 . Thus integral reduces to ΦE=∫EdA. dA of a small piece of the square is determined by dy*dx.

Then, integral becomes ∫663x*dydx (from 0 to 0.330)

Final answer should be

(y*663x^2)/2 (from 0 to 0.330) so final answer is 11.91.

I understand anti derivative of x is x^2/2 but I am not understanding/seeing where the y factor comes from.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2
    You have to integrate with respect to [itex]y[/itex] first. Since the term [itex]663x[/itex] does not depend on [itex]y[/itex], you can pull it out, and you have to deal with [itex]\int \ dy[/itex], which is...?

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3
    Hi,

ok so bc A=dxdy and that's part of the integral and like you said 663x does not depend on y you have 2 integrals ∫dy=y and ∫663x= 663*(x^2)/2 (from 0 to 0.330). Ok got it. Thank you for the clarification

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You sure the problem doesn't say the E field is in the z direction?

6. Sep 17, 2015 #5
    Hello, yes I am sorry the problem statement is in z-direction and I solved it with the z-direction in mind but I failed to revise my problem statement submission here. thanks for pointing that out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted