1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding force from electric potential energy using gradients.

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a certain region, a charge distribution exists that is spherically symmetric but
    non-uniform. When a positive point charge q is located at (r,θ,φ) near this charge
    distribution, there is a resulting electric potential energy for the system given by:

U(r,θ,φ) = ρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)(1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3) for r ≤ a

and 0 for r ≥ a

where ρo is a constant having units of C/m^3 (volume charge density) and a is a
    constant having units of m. Note that there is no θ or φ dependence here since the
    charge distribution is spherically symmetric.
    Determine the electric force F
    exerted on charge q as a function of its location
    (r,θ,φ) for:
    a) r ≤ a
    b) r > a
    Check that the units of your answer make sense. (Show your work.)

2. Relevant equations

F=-∇U
    ∇U=dU/dr r

3. The attempt at a solution'

I derived ∇U=dU/dr r from the spherical coordinate gradients and since there is no dependance on phi and theta we will just be using the r vector.

therefore:

d/drρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)(1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3) r

= 6r(r-a)/a^3 r

This is where I don't know what to do, how would I express my answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've calculated grad(U) ... you have the relationship between F and grad(U) ... you are asked for F... what's the problem?

Maybe this will help: You have told us...

$$U(r,\theta,\varphi) = U(r) = \frac{\rho_{0}a^2q}{18\epsilon_0 (1-3\left (\frac{r}{a}\right )^2)} + 2\left (\frac{r}{a}\right )^3 \; : \; r \leq a$$ $$\vec{F} = -\nabla U(r,\theta,\varphi)=-\frac{d}{dr}U(r)\hat{r}$$ $$\frac{d}{dr}U(r)=\frac{6r(r-a)}{a^3}$$... note: I'd check that derivative: I don't see where ##\rho_0##, ##q## and ##\epsilon_0## went for eg.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Thank you for clearing things up.

At this point i'm just having trouble proving that my answer will be in Newtons (correct units). Which means I probably derived wrong.

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In fact, [a]=L so your answer has dimensions of inverse-length.
    You should go over the derivation.

Is the expression for U(r) (above) the same as what you are given?
    The second term 2((r/a)^3) is dimensionless ... what dimensions should U have?

6. Sep 28, 2012 #5
    Sorry I must have mistyped the equation in the first place.

It should have been:

(ρ(naught)a^2q/18ε(naught)) (1-3((r/a)^2) + 2((r/a)^3)

Hopefully that makes it more clear.

The units for U should be Joules I believe (could be mistaken)

7. Sep 28, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Here, let me help with that... $$U(r)= \frac{\rho_0 a^2 q}{18\epsilon_0} \left ( 1-3\left( \frac{r}{a} \right )^2 +2\left ( \frac{r}{a} \right )^3 \right )$$... LaTeX is totally worth the effort of learning it.

To proceed, I would either change the variable, say z=r/a so $$\frac{dU}{dr}=\frac{1}{a}\frac{dU}{dz}$$... or just rearrange $$U(r)= \frac{\rho_0 q}{18\epsilon_0 a} \left ( a^3 -3ar^2+2r^3 \right )$$... you should be able to see right away that you don't have enough constants in your answer... probably you just forgot to put them back at the end.

BTW: "dimensions" is different from "units" ... electric potential has units of "Volts" (energy per unit charge) ... charge is dimensionless so U has dimensions of energy - which would be M.L2T-2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook