Finding force from momentum vector

In summary: A^2 + t^2 B^2}}{2|B|}##In summary, the conversation is about finding the force vector using differentiation and the dot product in a problem involving momentum and acceleration vectors at 45° angles. The faster method mentioned involves considering the force as always aligned with the x-axis and the momentum starting in the y-axis and becoming flatter as time increases. The dot product calculation simplifies to t = √(A^2 + t^2B^2)/2|B|.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The momentum of a particle is P vector=##\vec A##+(##\vec B##×##t^2##),where ##\vec A## and ##\vec B## are constant perpendicular vectors.The force acting on the particle when its acceleration is at 45° with its velocity is
Relevant Equations
F=dP/dt
I calculated force vector by differentiating momentum vector.Since acceleration and velocity vectors are at45°,therefore force and momentum vector are at 45°.But i am not able to find the time at which it will take place.I tried F vector.P vector=FPcos45° but i am not getting from it.I also used that Avector.B vector=0.Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
what did you get for force when you differentiated
##
\vec P = \vec A + \vec B t^2
##
and what did you get when you subbed it into this
##
|\vec P||\vec F|cos 45 = \vec F . \vec P
##

edit i did not try the first method
i was wondering
##
\hat A , \hat B

##
be the coordinate axis and since the force always aligned to one of them ...
this method seems lot faster than doing dot product

Last edited:
timetraveller123 said:
what did you get for force when you differentiated
##
\vec P = \vec A + \vec B t^2
##
and what did you get when you subbed it into this
##
|\vec P||\vec F|cos 45 = \vec F . \vec P
##

edit i did not try the first method
i was wondering
##
\hat A , \hat B

##
be the coordinate axis and since the force always aligned to one of them ...
this method seems lot faster than doing dot product
I got ##\vec F##=2##\vec B##t
And by doing ##\vec F##.##\vec P## , a cubic power of t was coming and it was becoming complicated so i need help for the dot product.
And can you explain me which faster method are you talking about.

Physics lover said:
I got ##\vec F##=2##\vec B##t
And by doing ##\vec F##.##\vec P## , a cubic power of t was coming and it was becoming complicated so i need help for the dot product.
And can you explain me which faster method are you talking about.
well you know the force is always aligned with ##\vec B## and b and a are perpendicular so you can just call a the y-axis and b the x-axis so the force always points in the x-axis and is growing linearly in time
and for the momentum it starts out in the y-axis since at t=0 it is just a and as time increases it gets more and more component in the x-axis it becomes flatter and flatter and at some point it needs to be 45 degrees to the x axis(force ) what does that imply about the momentum at that point

for dot product
##
\vec F = 2t \vec B\\
\vec P = \vec A + \vec B t^2\\
\vec F . \vec P = 2t^3 |B|^2 = \sqrt{A^2 + t^2 B^2}2t|B|\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
##
many things cancel out

What is the equation for finding force from momentum vector?

The equation for finding force from momentum vector is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

How is momentum vector defined?

Momentum vector is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

What is the relationship between momentum vector and force?

The relationship between momentum vector and force is that force is the rate of change of momentum. In other words, force is the amount of momentum an object gains or loses over a certain period of time.

Can force and momentum vector be negative?

Yes, both force and momentum vector can be negative. A negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion, while a negative momentum vector indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its original motion.

What units are used to measure force and momentum vector?

Force is measured in Newtons (N), while momentum vector is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).