Finding force to push 11.2 kg box at constant velocity with friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
moondawg
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A stockroom worker pushes a box with mass 11.2 kg on a horizontal surface with a constant speed of 3.50m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the surface is .20. What horizontal force must the worker apply to maintain the motion?

Homework Equations



F=ma
F=[tex]\mu[/tex]N


The Attempt at a Solution


First I drew my free body diagrams of course and found my Normal force to be 109.76N. Then i used this number and plugges it into F=ma(F=11.2x3.5) and got 39.2. Then using the 2nd equation above I found F=21.95. I was not sure if i was doing it correctly but then i added the 39.2+21.95= 61.152 as my F and answer. But I realized this cannot be right because i used 3.5 as my acceleration when it is just a constant velocity so I do not know how to even approach this question... PLEASE HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


If velocity is constant than all forces are equal. Force of friction will equal the applied force. Just do Force friction= normal fprce x coeddicient of kinetic friction. Since forces are equal they will be the same value.