1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding future x position with changing velocity

1. Feb 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At what time in the future will the x-component of the masses position be at 0m?

2. Relevant equations
    x=x,initial+(integral0,t)(v,xcomponent)(dt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution is 3.1 seconds... not really sure where to start :(

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In order to carry out the calculation indicated in your equation above, you need to know the x-component of v at time t---which you can (and should) write as v_x(t), or vx(t), using the "x2"" button on the gray palette at the top of the input panel. You are given an expression for acceleration, and you are given enough information to work out the initial vx(0) and vy(0) values, so you can work out vx(t) and vy(t). After that you can just go ahead and carry out the work in your equation.

4. Feb 13, 2016 #3
    Thank you!!!! i know how to get the initial x and y components at t=0. What equations should I be using to get the position 0 at the unknown time

5. Feb 13, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, YOU were the one that wrote down the necessary equation.

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    Yeah! I am unsure of how to use it.

7. Feb 15, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As Ray indicated in post #2 you first need another integral equation, one relating velocity to acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted