Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding golf balls in the rough (ultrasonic idea)

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to design a solution to the problem of finding golf balls in the rough. I've had a few thoughts so far:
    - Image processing to detect white objects in a predominantly green environment
    - UV light emitter and detector to take advantage of fluoresence of the whitening coating of the ball
    - Ultrasonic system to detect solid objects in grass, followed by profiling to determine shape

I expect the system should be portable so golfers can scan the grass as they walk and receive some feedback when a ball is found.

My main focus is on the latter idea and I was wondering if anyone with any experience of ultrasound knew if this was possible. Would, perhaps, the solid ball reflect ultrasound waves more strongly than a clump of grass? Once I've established if this works I can (attempt to) devise a system to ID a ball from any other solid object.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2
    I believe ultrasound requires a certain density medium to effectively travel through and get a response. Although the transmitter/emitter is probably adjustable...

This is just an assumption based on the ultrasound probes used to check out fetus's (feti?) shape and size during pregnancy.

I also like the idea of the UV light emitter, but I have a feeling the sunlight could pose a problem when trying to detect reflected UV light, maybe not once again, I'm no expert but I hope it helps.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook