Finding Gravitational Acceleration from a Slope

In summary, the student is trying to find the acceleration of a falling object, and does not know how to do so. The student has an equation for gravity from a pendulum, but does not know how to use it to calculate the acceleration. The student solves the equation for a by using the slope of the line and turning it into m/s^2.
rakeru

Homework Statement

I have a graph of time squared vs. height. It shows the relationship between the height of a ball and how long it takes for it to fall, squared. I don't have this in the form of a question, but I need to use the slope, which is 0.211 s^2/m, and turn it into a value for acceleration to compare it to the gravitational acceleration. I have no clue how to do this. I did 0.459s/m.. I don't know if that's correct. But I need m/s^2. I have an equation for gravity from a pendulum but I don't think that's what I should use.

Homework Equations

I don't have any equations..

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the square root of the seconds squared to get 0.459s/m but I'm not sure if I did that correctly.

Pleaaasse Help. Please.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for initial height as a function of time?

Uhm, I don't understand.. So we basically did this in class and we set it up and timed it. We did it multiple times with different heights and then we graphed the data. But it was a quadratic relationship so we were told to use the average time to find time squared and then graph time squared vs height. After that, we got that the slope was 0.211 s^2/m and now I need to use that to find the calculated gravity.. but I don't know how to do that and I wasn't told..

rakeru said:
Uhm, I don't understand.. So we basically did this in class and we set it up and timed it. We did it multiple times with different heights and then we graphed the data. But it was a quadratic relationship so we were told to use the average time to find time squared and then graph time squared vs height. After that, we got that the slope was 0.211 s^2/m and now I need to use that to find the calculated gravity.. but I don't know how to do that and I wasn't told..

Answer my post.

rude man said:
Answer my post.

...? Does that mean

y=y0+v0t+1/2 at2

That's the only one I know that has initial height..

How could that even be? I don't even know the initial velocity.

rakeru said:
How could that even be? I don't even know the initial velocity.
Do you mean that you don't know whether it was simply dropped or thrown down, or thrown up? Or do you mean the clock was not started at the moment of release, but after it passed some point? If it was dropped from rest at the moment the clock was started, surely you do know the initial velocity.

oh. my. god. Yeah, I didn't realize that. I still don't get it, though. I have the slope of the line.. and I have different heights, but I only need one answer for the acceleration that counts for everything.

You have 0.211 s^2/m, and you want m/s^2. Square rooting isn't going to work because you'll get square root of metres. Isn't there a much simpler way to turn one of those dimension formulae into the other?

rakeru said:
...? Does that mean

y=y0+v0t+1/2 at2

That's the only one I know that has initial height..

That's correct. Initial velocity is zero. You're dropping stuff from rest, aren't you?

I don't know. I really don't know how to change it. I have no clue and I can't even think of anything close because I simply don't know. I can't come up with something out of nothing.

Okay. I think I get it a little after thinking about it for a while. I used that equation and I moved it around to get

a= 2y/t^2

If I were to put the slope there, would it work?? Do I have to somehow make the t^2 on the top?? Please help. is the slope the same thing backwards?? oh my god if this is it I'm going to be so happy.

Yes, it's just a matter of inverting it. x s2/m represents the same relationship as 1/x m/s2. 5 km/h is the same as taking 0.2 h/km.

Wait. What? So is 0.211s^2/m equal to 1m/0.211s^2? :/

So would I have 2m/0.211s^2 ?

rakeru said:
Wait. What? So is 0.211s^2/m equal to 1m/0.211s^2? :/
Well, they're not equal exactly: you can't substitute one for the other in an equation. But they do represent the same acceleration.
So would I have 2m/0.211s^2 ?
No, how did you get that?

So how would I put that into

a= 2y/t^2 ?

Can't I put it in and do 2*(1m/0.211s^s)?

The height is the independent variable, right?..

rakeru said:
So how would I put that into

a= 2y/t^2 ?

Can't I put it in and do 2*(1m/0.211s^s)?

Ok, I see. I thought you were magically turning 1m/0.211s^2 into 2m/0.211s^2. Yes, looks ok.

haruspex said:
Ok, I see. I thought you were magically turning 1m/0.211s^2 into 2m/0.211s^2. Yes, looks ok.

oh my. i almost died. i thought it was right and did my assignment based on it since no one had answered. thank you soooo much!

Start with post #10 which reduces to y = at^2/2 since initial conditions are all zero. Change y to h. Now rearrange to t^2 = (2/a)h. Now you have t^2 on the y-axis and h on the x axis.

So the slope is 2/a. So now can you determine a from the slope?

EDIT: sorry, I guess you were done before this post.

Omg. So the answer for a=9.48 m/s^2 right?? I'm starting to doubt everything...

rakeru said:
Omg. So the answer for a=9.48 m/s^2 right?? I'm starting to doubt everything...

Why the doubt when you came up with the right answer?

Of course, your data was a bit faulty to begin with because we all know the answer is 9.81 m/s^2 but that's to be expected since you had air resistance and other sources of error to contend with.

Anyway, you're done.

What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the force of gravity. It is a measure of how quickly an object falls towards the ground.

How is gravitational acceleration related to slope?

Gravitational acceleration can be determined from the slope of a position-time graph for a falling object. The steeper the slope, the greater the gravitational acceleration.

What is the equation for finding gravitational acceleration from a slope?

The equation for finding gravitational acceleration from a slope is a = 2s/t^2, where a is the acceleration, s is the slope, and t is the time.

What are the units for gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

Can gravitational acceleration vary?

Yes, gravitational acceleration can vary depending on the location and mass of the objects involved. It is typically around 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth's surface, but can be different on other planets or in space.