What are the units for the slope in an Acceleration vs Mass Graph?

In summary, the conversation is about an Atwood Simulation lab where the relationship between mass and acceleration is being explored. The speaker is having trouble understanding the units for the slope in their data, and they believe it should be in Newtons (N). They also mention the experimental setup and provide their data for the lab. The other person explains that the units for the slope should be in m kg-1s-2 and reassures them not to worry about the oddness of the unit.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Using Quick graph, plot a graph of acceleration vs. ∆m, using the Part I data. Based on your analysis of the graph, what is the relationship between the mass difference and the acceleration of an Atwood’s machine? Do a linear best fit, and report the slope value (don’t forget the units).
Relevant Equations
a=m/s^2
m=kg
I am doing an Atwood Simulation lab. I am having trouble with this part of my lab that ask the question provided.

I can tell that the relationship is linear and that as the mass increases at a constant rate the acceleration increases.

Logger pro tells me that the slope is 31.43. I am having trouble thinking about what the units would be for the slope.

Acceleration is m/s^2. Mass is in kg. I believe that since I have a fraction of a kilogram I would then have:
m/s^2 / 1/kg which would then give me N.
Is that correct? If not where am I going wrong

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 8.16.19 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 8.16.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 8.16.19 PM.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 144
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Units for the slope, y/x, will be (whatever the units are on the y axis)/(whatever the units are on the x axis).

Out of interest, what exactly is the set up in the experiment? For a typical set up of two masses hung either side of a pulley, and varying only one mass, the acceleration should not be a linear function of the mass difference.

Likes guyvsdcsniper
haruspex said:
Units for the slope, y/x, will be (whatever the units are on the y axis)/(whatever the units are on the x axis).

Out of interest, what exactly is the set up in the experiment? For a typical set up of two masses hung either side of a pulley, and varying only one mass, the acceleration should not be a linear function of the mass difference.

So it would m/kg*s^2? It just seems like such an odd unit I've never seen that before.

I've attached the instructions and my data for this part of the lab. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.50.13 PM.pdf
    284.6 KB · Views: 238
quittingthecult said:
So it would m/kg*s^2? It just seems like such an odd unit I've never seen that before.

I've attached the instructions and my data for this part of the lab. Am I doing something wrong?
So in this experiment the combined mass is held constant. That explains why you get a straight line.
Yes, it would be m kg-1s-2. Don't worry about how odd it looks.

Likes guyvsdcsniper

What is an acceleration vs mass graph?

An acceleration vs mass graph is a visual representation of the relationship between acceleration and mass. It plots the acceleration on the y-axis and the mass on the x-axis, with each data point representing a specific object or system.

How is an acceleration vs mass graph used?

An acceleration vs mass graph is used to analyze the relationship between acceleration and mass. It can help determine the acceleration of an object or system based on its mass, or vice versa. It can also be used to compare the acceleration of different objects or systems with varying masses.

What does the slope of an acceleration vs mass graph represent?

The slope of an acceleration vs mass graph represents the force acting on an object or system. This is because the force is equal to the mass multiplied by the acceleration (F=ma), and the slope of the graph is equal to the change in acceleration divided by the change in mass.

What does a positive slope on an acceleration vs mass graph indicate?

A positive slope on an acceleration vs mass graph indicates a direct relationship between acceleration and mass. This means that as the mass increases, the acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

What does a negative slope on an acceleration vs mass graph indicate?

A negative slope on an acceleration vs mass graph indicates an inverse relationship between acceleration and mass. This means that as the mass increases, the acceleration decreases, and vice versa.