1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding highest order number for a diffraction grating

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light of wavelength 680 nm is incident normally on a diffraction grating. Two adjacent maxima occur at angles given by sin θ = 0.2 and sin θ = 0.3, respectively. The fourth-order maxima are missing.

Slit separation d = 6.8 µm
    Slit width a = 1.7 µm

What are the largest, second largest, and third largest values of the order number m of the maxima produced by the grating?

2. Relevant equations
    ((y is wavelength))
    [diffraction grating, maxima]: dsinθ=my
    [single slit, minima]: asinθ=my

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know, from the previous part of this problem, that d = 4a. So, the equation for maxima for the grating can be rewritten

4asinθ=my

I know that sinθ can at most be 1. Therefore, the equation for greatest m is 4a=my, and this solves where m = 10.

So I know the greatest value of m is 10. But how can I figure the penultimate and antepenultimate values of m? If I decrease m by one, so that m = 9, I have the equation

4asinθ=9y

for which a θ exists that will solve it. And for any m less than 10, there is a θ that will make the statement (4asinθ=my) true.

But the answer is not m = 10, 9, 8. How do I find the other order numbers?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted