Finding Horizontal Distance in Projectile Motion

In summary, the problem involves finding the horizontal distance, x, at which a 0.5kg rock will strike the ground after being projected from the top of a 6.89m building with an initial velocity of 13.7m/s at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. The solution involves using the equations dy = Voyt + 1/2at^2 and Vx = dx/t, and listing all known variables (initial and final position, velocity, acceleration, and time) to solve for the unknown variables. Trying to find the rock's highest point is unnecessary and the problem can be solved simply by plugging in known values
aliceeelu

Homework Statement

A 0.5kg rock is projected from the edge of the top of a building with an initial velocity of 13.7m/s at an angle 60o above the horizontal. The building is 6.89m in height . At what horizontal distance, x, from the base of the building will the rick strike the ground? Assume the ground is level and that the side of the building is vertical. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2.

Homework Equations

dy = Voyt + 1/2at^2
Vx = dx/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find the vertical and horizontal component of the rock at its highest point. Using the vertical component, I found a time, which would be how long it took for the rock to get to its highest point from its original position. Then, I added the vertical component and the height of the building, and used that as the dy to find the time it takes for the rock to go from its highest point to the ground. I added the two times, and found a dx.

My assignment is a quest on the UTexas site, so it would tell me when my answer is wrong.

And here's a diagram:
untitled-2.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're making this WAY more complicated than you need to. Did you learn that the x-component of velocity is Vcos [tex]\theta[/tex] and the y component of velocity is Vsin [tex]\theta[/tex], where theta is the angle made with the x axis?

You're given everything you could possibly want in this problem, just plug and chug.

Edit: To clarify, just write down what you do know. You know y-initial, y-final, x-initial, Vx initial, Vx final, Vy initial, acceleration in the x direction, acceleration in the y direction. The only things you don't know are time, x-final, and Vy-final. You have 3 unknowns and 4 equations (2 for x, 2 for y). Plug and chug.

The way I do every one of these problems is to write down a list of everything you could possibly know about the system. That's 11 items. Initial and final position, initial and final velocity, acceleration, and time. Do that for the x and the y directions. Time is the same, so you only put that down once. After you list those 11 items, fill in what you know, and use that to solve for what you don't.

If you do that, solving for it's highest point, or doing anything fancy like that doesn't even come into play.

Last edited:
Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track in your attempt to find the horizontal distance in projectile motion. To find the horizontal distance, x, from the base of the building where the rock strikes the ground, you will need to use the horizontal velocity, Vx, and the time, t, it takes for the rock to reach the ground.

Using the equations you have mentioned, you can find the time it takes for the rock to reach its highest point and then the time it takes for the rock to reach the ground. After finding these times, you can use the equation Vx = dx/t to find the horizontal distance, x.

In addition, it is important to note that the vertical and horizontal components of the rock's initial velocity can be found using trigonometric functions. For example, the vertical component would be V0sin(60) and the horizontal component would be V0cos(60).

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment!

1. How is horizontal distance calculated in projectile motion?

Horizontal distance in projectile motion is calculated using the equation d = v0 * t, where v0 is the initial velocity and t is the time. This equation assumes that the projectile is moving at a constant horizontal velocity.

2. Is air resistance taken into account when calculating horizontal distance?

In most cases, air resistance is ignored when calculating horizontal distance in projectile motion. This is because the horizontal velocity of a projectile is typically much greater than the vertical velocity, and air resistance has a greater effect on the vertical motion.

3. Can horizontal distance be negative in projectile motion?

Yes, horizontal distance can be negative in projectile motion. This can occur if the projectile is launched at an angle below the horizontal, resulting in a negative horizontal velocity component.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the horizontal distance in projectile motion?

The angle of launch has a direct impact on the horizontal distance in projectile motion. A higher launch angle will result in a longer horizontal distance, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter horizontal distance.

5. Can horizontal distance be greater than the initial height in projectile motion?

Yes, horizontal distance can be greater than the initial height in projectile motion. This can occur if the projectile is launched at a high angle, resulting in a longer horizontal distance traveled before hitting the ground.