Finding Horizontal Tangent Planes on S

In summary, the OP has been trying to find a horizontal tangent plane for a surface, but has been unsuccessful.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

S is the surface with equation [tex] z = x^2 +2xy+2y[/tex]a) Find an equation for the tangent plane to S at the point (1,2,9).
b) At what points on S, in any, does S have a horizontal tangent plane?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]F(x,y,z): z = x^2 +2xy+2y[/tex]
[tex]F_x = 2x + 2y[/tex]
[tex] F_y = 2x + 2[/tex]

Evaluated at (1,2) gives answers 6 and 4, respectively. My equation for a plane is:

[tex]z-9=6(x-1) + 4(y-1)[/tex].

I think any horizontal plane should have normal vector <0,0,k>, where k is some scalar. I'm pretty sure that S has no such normal vector. But if
[tex]F(x,y,z): 0 = x^2 +2xy+2y - z[/tex]
then
[tex]grad F = <2x + 2y,2x + 2,-1>[/tex] It seems like I can let (x,y) = (-1,1) to zero the x-, y-components of the gradient. Plugging (-1,1) into the definition of z gives z = 1. This suggests to me that there is a point (-1,1,1), at which there is a horizontal tangent plane. Yet I feel pretty sure that this isn't true!

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a little mistake when writing out the equation of the tangent plane. The y coordinate of the fixed point is 2, you wrote 1.

A surface in 3D is of the form F(x,y,z) = constant. For this surface, x2+2xy+2y-z=0. That means F(x,y,z)=x2+2xy+y-z. The gradient of F is normal to the surface, and the tangent plane of the surface at a given point. You want a horizontal tangent plane, so a vertical gradient:(0,0,a). That means Fx=2x+2y=0, Fy=2x+2=0 --->x=-1, y=1, so your result for the x,y coordinates are correct. Plugging into the original equation for x and y, you got z=x2+2xy+2y=1, it is correct. Why do you feel it is not?

ehild

When I graphed F(x,y,z) in MatLab (and it's possible I graphed it incorrectly), I observed that the the resulting paraboloid is always "tilted". Below is a picture from my plot:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/687/skjermbilde20111203kl85.png
How can this surface have a horizontal tangent anywhere when it is tilted like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to plot z out for -2<x<0 and 0<y<2

ehild

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/139/skjermbilde20111203kl10.png
Hmm. I'm not seeing the a point in this picture where the gradient is pointing directly upwards. Everything still looks kind of tilted.

The function is equivalent with z=(x+2y-1)(x+1)+1 and z=1 along the lines x=-1 and y=(1-x)/2. I attach a plot of the surface near the point (-1,1)

ehild

Attachments

• twovar.jpg
    twovar.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 730
I presume that by "horizontal" you mean perpendicular to the z-axis.

The simplest way to find a tangent planes for a surface is to write it in the form F(x,y,z)= constant. Then the normal to the tangent plane at any point is given by [itex]\nabla F[/itex]. Here, you can write [itex]F(x, y,z)= x^2+ 2xy+ 2y- z= 0[/itex].

What is [itex]\nabla F[/itex]? That will be vertical (and so tangent plane horizontal) when its x and y components are 0.

@HallsofIvy: The OP has shown the solution in his first post, he only can not believe it, as the surfaces he got with MatLab look tilted. If you could give advice how to plot surfaces with MatLab, that would be real help for him.

ehild

If anyone is familiar with MatLab, this is the code I've been using:

[x,y] = meshgrid(-2:.1:0, 0:.1:2);

%this makes a surface z evaluated at all the points in the x and y matrices
%note that the dot operator has to be used to indicate element by element multiplication
%if this is not done matrix style row by column multiplication is done and
%this is not what we wanted for this problem

z = x.^2 + 2*x*y +2*y;

%this makes the surface plot
%first we clear the figure window

figure(1);cla;

%then we make the plot

surf(x,y,z);

%this labels the axes
xlabel('X axis')
ylabel('Y axis')
zlabel('Z axis');

%this makes a title
title('Bizarre Graph');

%this sets the view angle in degrees (done by trial and error)
view(24,38);

Note that the "%" mark my annotations. I included them so that hopefully you can follow what I'm doing more easily.

Ha! I figured it out. I forgot a "."

I should have written

z = x.^2 + 2*x.*y +2*y;

Everything makes sense now.

You see: it is worth typing something out again and again. Is your plot similar to my one? It was made with Origin. I would like to see your final plot... Please...

ehild

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2104/skjermbilde20111204kl10.png It looks like it could have a horizontal tangent plane right around (-1,1,1)

It is really nice! And a missing dot made you sceptical about the truth of Maths??!:uhh:

ehild

1. How do you find the horizontal tangent plane on a surface?

To find the horizontal tangent plane on a surface, you must first find the partial derivatives of the surface function with respect to both x and y. Then, set both partial derivatives equal to 0 and solve for the values of x and y. These values will give you the x and y coordinates of the point on the surface where the horizontal tangent plane is located.

2. What is the equation for a horizontal tangent plane?

The equation for a horizontal tangent plane on a surface can be written as z = f(a,b), where a and b are the x and y coordinates of the point on the surface where the tangent plane is located. This means that the z-value of the tangent plane will be equal to the z-value of the surface at that point.

3. Can a surface have more than one horizontal tangent plane?

Yes, a surface can have multiple horizontal tangent planes. This occurs when the surface has a saddle point, where the surface curves in both the x and y directions. In this case, there will be two points on the surface where the partial derivatives are equal to 0, resulting in two horizontal tangent planes.

4. How do you know if a point on a surface is a critical point?

A point on a surface is considered a critical point if both partial derivatives are equal to 0 at that point. This means that the surface is neither increasing nor decreasing in the x and y directions, and is a potential location for a horizontal tangent plane.

5. Can a surface have a horizontal tangent plane at every point?

No, not every point on a surface can have a horizontal tangent plane. If the partial derivatives of the surface function with respect to both x and y are never equal to 0, then there will be no points on the surface where a horizontal tangent plane can exist. This often occurs when the surface is a straight line or a constant function.