Finding if the correct pump is installed

• Thread starter precog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, the conversation discusses problems with a pump that may be too large for the application, leading to cavitation during the process. The pump information includes a flow rate of 60GPM and a 5Hp motor with an RPM of 1725. The conversation also suggests calculating the fluid flow in lbs/hr, with a formula of 60 gallons per minute multiplied by 60 minutes in an hour and 8.33 lbs per gallon for water. It is recommended to measure the actual outflow rate for one minute or estimate the flow by restricting the outflow until no cavitation occurs. The conversation also mentions considering the NPSH in the system and asks for more information about the system layout.
precog
I am having problems with a pump installed.

I am trying to determine if it is to large for the application because there is a lot of cavitation during the process. I have the pump information 60GPM with a 5Hp Motor. RPM is 1725. How can i calculate lbs/hr of the fluid flowing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For water @8.33lbs/gal:
Code:
60(gallons per minute)  * 60(minute in an hour) * 8.33
if the pump never cavitates... this would be the max possible flow.
If the pump cavitates, you'll have to measure the actual outflow rate for one minute which is arguably the best solution. Get a forty gallon container, direct the output into the container for one minute. Substitute that value into the equation above.

If that is physically impossible you will have to estimate your flow. Can you restrict outflow? If so keep restricting outflow until no cavitation occurs. Then estimate what the reduced flow is as a function of the restriction diameter vs the output diameter.
There will be slop in there, because as head pressure goes up, the pump has to not only lift water, but also push it out through the restriction. Remember Bernoulli.

Sorry if this is excessivley trivial, but I can't tell what your situation is.

If the pump is cavitating, I would look at the NPSH you have in your system. It sounds like you are trying to pull to much on the inlet.

Can you tell us a little more about your specific system layout?

1. How do I know if the correct pump is installed?

The easiest way to determine if the correct pump is installed is to check the model number and specifications of the pump against the requirements for your specific system. You can also consult with the manufacturer or a professional in the field for confirmation.

2. What are the consequences of having the wrong pump installed?

Having the wrong pump installed can lead to a number of problems, such as decreased efficiency, increased energy costs, and potential damage to the system. It can also result in the pump not functioning properly or at all, which can disrupt operations and lead to costly repairs.

3. Can a pump be easily replaced if it is found to be incorrect?

It depends on the specific system and the severity of the incorrect installation. In some cases, a pump can be easily replaced without causing major disruptions. However, in other cases, it may require significant time and effort to replace the pump, especially if it is a crucial component of the system.

4. How can I avoid installing the wrong pump?

The best way to avoid installing the wrong pump is to carefully research and select the appropriate pump for your specific system. This includes considering the flow rate, head pressure, and other specifications. It is also important to consult with experts and follow installation instructions precisely.

5. What steps should I take if I suspect the wrong pump has been installed?

If you suspect that the wrong pump has been installed, it is important to address the issue immediately. This may involve consulting with the manufacturer, hiring a professional to inspect the system, or replacing the pump altogether. Ignoring the issue can lead to more serious problems and costly repairs in the future.