Finding Initial Velocity Components of a Projectile Using Kinematic Equations

In summary, the problem involves a projectile being launched from ground level and reaching a displacement of 40 m horizontally and 53 m vertically. The horizontal component of the initial velocity can be determined, but the vertical component is unknown. Kinematic equations were attempted, but did not yield a solution. However, using a formula relating initial velocity, uniform acceleration, displacement, and time, the remaining unknown can be found. It is important to use the given data at a specific time, rather than setting time to 0.
Bashyboy
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
1. Two seconds after being projected from ground level (y=0 m), a projectile is displaced
x=40 m horizontally and y=53 m vertically above its launch point. What are the (a) horizontal
and (b) vertical components of the initial velocity v of the projectile? (c) At the instant the
projectile achieves its maximum height above ground level, how far is it displaced horizontally
from the launch point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working on part a). I was able to determine the horizontal component; however, I am unable to ascertain the vertical component of velocity. I tried applying kinematic equations, but with no avail. I tried to employ a symmetry argument, by finding the velocity acquired as the projectile falls to Earth from a vertical distance of 53 m, but then I realized that I don't know the velocity at this point, nor can I suppose that the speed is zero, because it isn't.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a formula relating initial velocity, uniform acceleration, displacement and time. You know three of these, thus should be able to find out the remaining unknown.

Are you speaking of this formula: vi = (y -.5at^2)/t. If so, how can I apply it when I need to set t = 0, in order to determine the initial velocity?

At what value of ##t## do you know ##y##? Why would you let ##t = 0## instead?

I figured that I would set t = 0, because that is the instant whose velocity I am trying to find.

At ## t = 0 ##, ## y = 0 ##, so your equation is ## 0 = v_i \cdot 0 - g \cdot 0^2 / 2 ##, which is useless. But you are given data at ## t ## different than 0, so use that.

1. What is Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. It is a set of physical laws that describe the motion of objects and their interactions with forces.

2. What are the three laws of Newtonian Mechanics?

The three laws of Newtonian Mechanics are:
1) Law of Inertia: An object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.
2) Law of Acceleration: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.
3) Law of Action and Reaction: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in Newtonian Mechanics?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

4. How does Newtonian Mechanics apply to everyday life?

Newtonian Mechanics can be applied to everyday life in many ways, such as understanding the motion of objects like cars and airplanes, predicting the behavior of projectiles, and explaining the mechanics of sports like throwing a ball or riding a bike.

5. Are there any limitations to Newtonian Mechanics?

While Newtonian Mechanics is a very accurate and useful model for many situations, it does have limitations. It does not fully explain the behavior of objects at very high speeds, near the speed of light, or at very small scales, such as the atomic level. For these situations, the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics are needed.