Finding initial velocity of basketball in kinematic equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Archit
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Here is the picture for you to understand it better.
Please help me calculate the velocity required for the ball.
I have already tried it with the formula:
displacement = initial velocity(time) + (acceleration)(time2)/2
but cannot since I do not know the initial velocity and the time
basketball2.JPG

Please help me and thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Archit said:
but cannot since I do not know the initial velocity and the time

The initial velocity is what you are looking for
 
barefeet said:
The initial velocity is what you are looking for
Yes I am looking for the initial velocity. Then I will calculate the force required to throw the ball
 
Start by looking at x and y components of the velocity separately. Try to figure out what equations apply to these components
 
barefeet said:
Start by looking at x and y components of the velocity separately. Try to figure out what equations apply to these components
Thanks. I got my answer!