Finding Initial Velocity with barely anything

In summary, someone throws a rubber ball vertically upward from the roof of a building 8.00 m in height and it falls to the ground in 3.00 s. By using the equation y=y0+ut-0.5gt2 and knowing the height of the building, the initial velocity of the ball can be found to be 12.04 m/s.
allegro1993

Homework Statement

Someone throws a rubber ball vertically upward from the roof of a building 8.00 m in height. The ball rises, then falls. It misses the edge of the roof, and strikes the ground. If the ball is in the air for 3.00 s, what was its initial velocity? (Disregard air resistance. a = -g = -9.81m/s2)

Homework Equations

Mostly these:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]y = 1/2ay([tex]\Delta[/tex]t)2
vy, f = ay[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
vy, f2 = 2ay[tex]\Delta[/tex]y

idk if there are equations that could be used to solve this easier.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stumped. I figured in order to find the initial velocity, I'd need to find the height of the peak. To find the height, you would need the time interval for the second half, which is after the ball reaches the peak.
All that is given time-wise is the overall time (3 seconds), and I have no idea how to find out how long it takes to reach the top of its arc.
Any help would be appreciated, I'm at a dead end.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equation y=y0+ut-0.5gt2

When the ball hits the ground y=0, you have t and you want to find 'u'.

could you elaborate on that equation a little bit for me ?
I see what you did substituting g for ay, that makes sense, but what does "u" stand for ?

Il'l give you a start

Here it is the formula simplified

All of these values are given for the "y" axis, so don't be subbing in horizontal distance traveled or anything just vertical quantities.

displacement = Initial velocity * Time + .5 (acceleration) * Time^2

Now, the distance traveled by the ball is (8 - however high the building is.) Do we have the height of the building? No.

Can we find the height of the building?

That should give you a start on how to think of this kind of problem.

Learnphysics said:
Il'l give you a start

Here it is the formula simplified

All of these values are given for the "y" axis, so don't be subbing in horizontal distance traveled or anything just vertical quantities.

displacement = Initial velocity * Time + .5 (acceleration) * Time^2

Now, the distance traveled by the ball is (8 - however high the building is.) Do we have the height of the building? No.

Can we find the height of the building?

That should give you a start on how to think of this kind of problem.

No, the building is 8 m high. I don't know how high the ball goes above the building :/

Thank you very much that helped me alot.

I Know a formula. But I don't know your notations. So I'll write mine.
initial velocity= u
Height of building = h
acc. = g
time=t
-h=u*t-(1/2)gt^2
-8=3u-(1/2)9.81*9
44.14-8=3u
36.14=3u
u=12.04 m/s
is it the correct answer

1. How can I calculate initial velocity with minimal information?

The most common way to find initial velocity with limited information is by using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for u, the initial velocity.

2. What information do I need to find initial velocity?

To find initial velocity, you need to know the final velocity, acceleration, and time. You can also use the displacement and time to calculate initial velocity with the equation v = u + 1/2at^2.

3. Can I find initial velocity without knowing the acceleration?

No, it is not possible to calculate initial velocity without knowing the acceleration. The equation v = u + at requires the value of acceleration to solve for u.

4. How accurate is the calculation of initial velocity with minimal information?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the given information. If the values are measured precisely, then the calculated initial velocity will also be accurate. However, if the measurements are not accurate, then the calculated initial velocity will also have a higher margin of error.

5. Are there any other methods to find initial velocity with limited information?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the displacement. This equation can be rearranged to solve for u, the initial velocity. Additionally, if you have a video of the motion, you can use video analysis software to track the motion and calculate the initial velocity.